Chapter 1: Mimi

Princess Mimi Zarkay was princess of the world, and that’s how she stepped into the kitchen that morning. Her head was upright, back straight and her shoulders squared. She worked since childhood to perfect her stance, and her skin was the palest green on the planet, dotted, with shimmering sparkles. Her gown was glowing white, with an acceptably long, lace train. Her eyes scanned the room with authority. The maids were bustling about preparing for the royal breakfast. Mimi brought her hair over her shoulder, the golden strands flowing like fields of grain. She continued to eye the maids, who worked vigorously even though they were tired. Why would they choose this life? Mimi wondered. It’s obviously hard work.

One of the maids came over to Mimi. She studied the maid’s milky white skin and raggedy clothes with disgust. Everyone knew the most beautiful people had the brightest, palest green skin.

“Hello my princess how is your morning?” she asked.

Mimi looked at her in an annoyed way, “It’s fine. Bring me some wine.” She demanded.

The maid shuffled to a cabinet that was far across the room, removed a glass goblet and brought it to a finely polished, marbled counter. She removed the wine that the Queen and Princess usually drank for breakfast and began to pour it. Silky midnight blue liquid cascaded down into the glass, rolling around inside like a miniature ocean. The maid stared at it as she picked up the glass. She wished she could have just a small sip, but she wanted to keep her tongue. As soon as Mimi got it in her hand she took a swig and rolled it around her mouth.

“Prepare me some cheese; I’ll be waiting in my room.” And with that Mimi sauntered off. She hated being in the kitchen anyway. It was no place for a real lady.

Mimi’s room was any Sarkatan girls dream room. It had an enormous balcony and large bed, big enough to fit all of her family. It went from one wall to the opposite. She had a nice work area, for her studies. All girls want a proper education. There was also a dressing stand for her servants to dress her; the wealthy did not bother with trivial tasks such as putting on their own clothes. She walked to her desk. The wood it was made from was white and had a natural, protective gloss. Cataire trees were reserved and grown exclusively for the rich. Poor people couldn’t possibly cherish the glossy appeal of the wood. Their brains were too void. Mimi thought while sitting in her desks’ chair. The princess reached over her desk to the window that hung above it and pulled aside the drapes, hooking them into the golden drape holders and letting the sunlight bathe the room.

Mimi then looked down at her studies. In class they were studying the planet called Earth. The galaxy was not that far away from theirs but apparently in their culture it would be. Something about eons and light-years, Mimi didn’t pay attention so she didn’t know what those vocabulary words meant. However, she did know that in the planet of Earth, they referred to their own galaxy as looking like a spilled beverage, something she found odd. The scientist of Tempra’s Order of Exploration have been disguising themselves as the Earthlings and recording their findings, sending them back to Sarkata. 

Suddenly there was a knock at her door.

“Come in!” Mimi said while turning around.

A maid hurried in while holding her head down in respect. She had dusty green skin and had it been a tinge lighter she would be respectable and could have had a decent job. Mimi shook her head and snorted, these women make me so sick. How could they disgrace the Sarkatan name so? All women should be equal, why choose not to be?

The maid was holding a tray of lavender colored cheeses and a bottle of the wine Mimi was drinking. She put it down before Mimi on the desk, also refilling Mimi’s goblet with the wine. She then set it down on the tray. All the while Mimi was staring at her, as if she were a pustule.