Chapter 12: Nina

The afternoon was beginning to leak into evening. Nina and Erok had finally woken up and were huddled around a fire. Erok was smaller, the size of a deer and was lying on the ground next to Nina. She poked the fire with a stick and flames licked the stick and upward in the air.  All they had eaten were those oranges and they were in the middle of contemplating what they could eat next. She had to tell Erok that things were going to be done differently.

                “Erok. There’s been a change of plans.” She stated stiffly.

                Erok lifted his head and looked up to Nina, “What? Why?”

                “The girl we saw earlier in the Palace Orchard,” She began, “The Gods want her.”

                A scaly eyebrow lifted, “So now what?”

                Nina said nothing as she put her hands in front of the fire. Her black nails were gleaming from the orange caresses of the fire reflection. Yes, “now what?” is the question. She thought to herself. Nina sighed deeply and tilted her head back with her eyes closed. Erok’s head found its way onto her thigh as he let her think. Her jaw clenched. Why can’t everything go back to how they used to be? She thought sadly, but then she slapped herself mentally. There is no place for wishful thinking. She chided to herself. Nina looked down at Erok and placed a hand on his head, rubbing his scales gingerly.

                “Now we must observe the child.” Nina finally stated in response to Erok’s earlier question.

                “Why? Why don’t we just steal her away with the Princess?” Erok asked.

                “We could, but that would be more struggles and more likely the chances are of getting caught.”

                “But what is the benefit of watching her?” The dragon asked confused.

                Nina let a smirk curl her lips, “You’ll see in time.”

                They were in silence for a while warming up by the fire. After a while Nina reached into one of her pouches and pulled out a filer. It was short, not longer than her thumb. It was made of a hard metal and was rough on both sides. The handle was bound in leather that was starting to show signs of wear and age. She took the file and put it in her mouth, beginning to shave her shark-like teeth into shape. It had been a while since she’s eaten meat and her teeth could lose their edge if she didn’t do it. Erok watched her as he lay on the cold dirt ground. Nina sharpened each tooth until satisfaction and she slipped the filer away to where it had once been.

                “Why didn’t we go to Kris-Gordana with everyone else?” Erok asked suddenly with wistfulness.

                Nina turned her eyes to him, propping one of her legs up and placing an arm across it. She decided not to say anything.

                “You wouldn’t have to be in the position you’re in if we went to Kris-Gordana with the other elves.” He continued while looking at her.

                She tilted her head down and looked at her hand, “I don’t want to talk about it Erok.”

                While the women and Men were warring the elves grew fed up and used the advanced technology to leave to the third planet, Kris-Gordana. Elves wanted the planet to be equal and peaceful. Neither Man nor woman would listen to reason so the elves left. This was sometime before the Men finally left to Gor-Denril. While their whole race left, Erok and Nina decided to stay and see how far the Men and women would go exactly. They were surprised when the Men actually did leave the planet. By the time they had wanted to go to Gordana with their kind it was too late, the Gods had Nina wrapped around their finger. If only they hadn’t , no, if only she hadn’t begged to stay and watch what was going to happen between the Sarkatan Men and women then she wouldn’t be here today and Erok wouldn’t be the way he is… It’s all her fault, everything.