Chapter 2: Felix

It was very hot in Oiya at around the same time that day. So hot that it wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say that villagers could cook an egg on a rock from the heat of the rock alone. Birds flew from tree to tree, trying to find a good resting spot and shade. Most of the land was farmland, and villages. The Tempran’s used much of the forests for supplies and paper. And the Oiyan’s had to use the mud for housing, since they didn’t have the advanced tools the Tempran’s used for structures with metal spines and stone walls. If you were too poor to afford paying for wood then you had to build your house from mud. To ensure that people were not using wood in their houses for free, Oiyan’s had to buy a license to build a house using wood from the Tempran delegate that oversaw the village and Tempran Armed Forces were to watch the house’s construction. This meant that most houses were made of mud. May the Gods help you if it rained.

The orange sky was cloudless which made it even hotter than it needed to be. The season was going bad. The heat was killing all the crops and there was little to no rain. But the Oiyan’s weren’t surprised; they were actually quite used to the weathers harsh treatment. They had to make the most of it, and the most of it was going ahead and planting the crops anyway. Most of Oiya’s income came from exporting wood, meats, and crops. What little the people ate, came from whatever they had left over, or if they hunted…

Suddenly an arrow cut through the thick, hot air and rammed its way through a stout bird’s body. The bird was grey and brown, with short little brown legs, and tiny wings. Its six eyes blinked slowly and they shut for the last time as the body hit the ground. There would be no fight, because the shooter had covered the arrow head with a narcotic poison. Heavy black blood started to seep through the hole the arrow had caused, and make its way to through the think forest grass. The offender stepped out from behind a tree and some bushes. She had a farmers tan and dark orange hair. The girl’s torso heaved up and down, breathing heavily as sweat glistened down her body. Her feline ears protruded from the orange mass on her head and flickered to make sure anything wasn’t lurking behind. She wiggled her nose, one more feline trait she had. Her outfit mainly consisted of pieces of scrap metal, bent into make shift armor, and a leather shoulder piece, a hip piece and shin guards; the rest of her clothes were green tights, a leather skirt, a belt with pouches and hooks, and a make shift leather bra. She walked slowly up to the bird, looking around to assure that no one was watching. It had come to this, stealing a neighbor’s food. She grabbed the end of the arrow, it went through the bird. Hm, she thought, It’s a good thing my Aunt isn’t here; this thing is barely big enough to feed my mom and I, barely enough to feed me actually. She latched the bird onto a hook on her belt through its neck, ignoring the gushing sounds the blood and meat made. She was about to turn and be on her way when suddenly…

“Felix!” A girl yelled ferociously from the bushes.

Felix turned around slightly and rubbed her neck, “Hey… Di’nt hear ya there!” She said sheepishly.

Another girl stepped out the bush. She was overpowering and very tall. Her hair was platinum blonde and tied in a high ponytail, other than that her skin was that of a reptile, as was her face. Her bottom jaw, down to her belly and between her legs was made up of yellow scales and the rest of her was a deep forest green. She had the body of a lizard that could walk upright. And her head was a snakes. Felix shivered. Reptiles are annoying when it comes to their food. They take it too… too… seriously. Well I mean, she thought, it is pretty serious, we could starve to death. But still.

The girl snarled, “I trapped that bird first.”

Felix was genuinely surprised. She knew she was taking someone’s shrik but she didn’t see a trap, the later she stated (for the reptilian girl need not know that she did know it was someone else’s).