Chapter 10: Mimi

Saying Mimi was irritated was an understatement, she was beyond that. After the new slave girl had left to fetch Mimi some food, Nessecus had arrived to deliver Mimi her lesson. It had been a while since the girl had left and still she had not returned, and Mimi was not one for patience. Mimi sat tapping her pen against her scroll with her head propped against one hand as Nessecus droned on.

“Now, you might be wondering where we get the Pine tree from. It is not of our planet. This plant is taken from another planet in another galaxy for the use of Temprans exclusively. What is the name of the planet and its galaxy Mimi?” Nessecus asked.

Mimi drifted her eyes lazily to her notes, “Earth in the Milky Way.” The foreign words slipped from her mouth fluidly. When she first learned them it was somewhat hard to pronounce Milky, but she soon got the hang of it.

Nessecus nodded. “Good job. What other things do we mine from that planet?”

“Quartz and Oranges.” Orange was also a new word to Mimi.

“Great.” She complimented while walking to the side of Mimi’s desk. She had been walking around lecturing for most of the morning, passed lunch hour and she wanted to sit down. Nonetheless she stood because it was thought that a teacher was lazy if they sat down while instructing. “You’ll have a test in two days on what the mining branch of Tempra’s Order of Exploration does and also tomorrow you have a test on locating different important bodies in the sky. Would you like a study guide?” Nessecus asked.

Mimi sighed, “Yes. Why so many tests anyway?”

Nessecus chuckled, “You have to know this stuff because you’re our future Queen.”

“So? I could just ask my Aunt to tell me everything.” She mumbled.

“But you remember it better if you learn it repeatedly instead of just asking once.” Her teacher corrected.

Mimi threw a glare at her, “Don’t tell me how I learn.” She spat.

Nessecus gapped, “I wasn’t, I was just-”

“Don’t talk back to me either!” Mimi boomed. Her teacher snapped her jaw shut and looked down;

“I’m sorry m’Lady.” She said.

Mimi’s glare lessened but it did not disappear. She knew she was taking her anger out on Nessecus about the new personal slave not arriving with the food but she couldn’t help it, nor did she care.

“Is everything in order Mimi?” Nessecus asked gently, her orange hair sliding over her shoulder as she looked down at Mimi who was perched on her desk in a bored fashion. “You were even distant in your lesson today.”

The Princess dropped her glare at the milky green lady, “Just something stupid is all.”

“It can’t be stupid if you’re this upset about it.”

“Well, I got a new personal slave today.”

Nessecus beamed, “That’s wonderful! I’ve been thinking about getting rid of some of the servants in my own home. They’ve gotten old and are making me look poor as if I couldn’t afford new ones, as well as the fact that they require more pay because of their age even though their age is causing them unable to do a lot of work.”

Mimi smiled, “That’s why we don’t keep a lot of old slaves.”

“So then why’re you upset about this new one?”

Scowling she replied, “Because I sent her on a simple errand earlier this morning. ‘Get me some food’ I said, it shouldn’t be that hard right? But she has yet to return.”