Chapter 4: Mimi

Mimi was seated at the straight part of a large semi-circle table. Her evening gown was a deep blue with slivers of silver thread. Her hair was in tresses and braids that rolled off her shoulders. She was fiddling with the gold tassels at the edge of the decorative tablecloth. The table cloth was white and had gold thread spiraling throughout it. It covered the table and fell a foot off the edges. The tassels hung off the rims. Mimi loved the royal dinners. They were her time to shine and show her Aunt what she was capable of as a leader for Sarkata. Lord Kirnas and Mimi sat at the straight edge while all the other nobles sat at the rounded part of the table. This was to engrave more thoroughly that the Queen was supreme and that she was always watching her subjects.

The dining room of the palace was spacious, the corners were filled with hanging and potted plants. The walls were made of grey stones that were bigger than one’s own head. The stones were cut in random sizes and were made to create a garden look. The windows reached from the ceiling to a foot from the floor and had stained glass portraits depicting the story of how Sarkata created their planet. Giant orbs of glass hung from the ceiling filled with giant balls of blue shivering electricity. The floors were made of pink granite cuts and soft fuzzy green moss sprouted from the cracks. Sarkatan’s loved to eat outside even when they were eating inside and this garden-like dining room was the perfect example.

Lord Kirnas looked around at the people who were joining them for dinner. Most of them weren’t important except for one person. She was the Ambassador of Worldly Betrothing. She was old and wrinkles creased her face creating mazes of age and wisdom. Her mouth was a straight line and her lips were nonexistent. The eyes of her face were a bit sunken and were a hard, cold grey. Mimi had the idea that she was a strict old woman, but she had to impress her in order to be married to Gor-Denrils prince as soon as possible. Lord Kirnas had insisted that Mimi wasn’t ready to rule yet and in some ways Mimi thought she was correct, however, I need to at least be engaged, Mimi had thought. Also, Mimi’s tutor was there. It was customary for the tutor of a child to be invited to dinner as a way to thank the mentor for giving the child new knowledge. Her tutor, Nessecus was very gorgeous. Her hair was a bright orange and had pink beads clutching to the locks. She had a warm, milky green face with deep purple lipstick. She was fairly light, enough to be respected. She taught Mimi many things, including the horrors of the other lands.

The rest of the guests were chubby women with glamorous attire. Chubbiness was a sign of wealth; it meant that you could afford to eat heartily. The ordinary nobility, they didn’t really contribute to anything political or of importance. Lord Kirnas rang the tiny bell that was rested near her hand.

“Attention,” she demanded. Everyone stopped chatting and looked her way. “My dear niece Mimi, and your Princess, will now lead us in our prayers”

Mimi cheered in her head. Now was her time to shine. Saying a perfect prayer was an easy way to impress people. Everyone bowed their head and grasped their neighbor’s hand. Mimi began the recital, “We thank you Lord Sarkata for the land you shelter. We thank the Lords Edon and Triston for the worlds you have given us. We will gingerly savor the meal you have delivered us. We eat in harmony and pray for our sisters. Lord let the sun rise tomorrow on the back of hope. Lord give.” She ended. Everyone clapped for her. Nessecus smiled at her gleefully.

“We may proceed with dining and discussion.” Kirnas said. “Thank you for that lovely prayer.” Lord Kirnas nodded at Mimi.

Mimi’s belly flopped; she had made the Queen happy. She turned to her teacher. “Mimi,” her teacher said, “That was beautiful! I bet Sarkata herself is weeping!”

Everyone giggled, even Kirnas smiled.

“Thank you.” Mimi said, “How was your trip to Oiya?” She asked.