Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen: Ashley's POV
Coffee sounded great about then, and Ringo walked into the shop like he owned the place. I figured he must frequent it often.
"Go have a seat. I'll get us something warm." He offered. So I just sat without a word. When he came over with a steaming mug of the black liquid, I thanked him gratefully. He sat across from me, staring at me with concentrated blue eyes.
"What?" I asked softly, glancing down at my drink.
"I'm sorry." He said.
"Sorry, why are you sorry?" I asked him.
"I'm sorry I didn't keep an eye on George. I knew he had something planned special for you and he was going for a haircut that was all...I guess he must've been more nervous that I thought to go in for a few drinks." He explained. I sighed.
"Just forget about it. It's done. He-he doesn't even remember so I'm just gonna let it go." I said.
"So you're gonna forgive him?" Was his question. I looked up. Of course that would be the human thing to do, if he had no idea what he was doing, but I couldn't say yes I would forgive him. My heart was broken.
"I don't know..." I said softly.
"Oh. Well I'm sure by now he knows you're mad at him for something." Ringo sounded like he almost was hoping I'd make up with George. I curled my fist that had connected with George's face earlier. I felt bad I'd hit him, I'd never hit anyone before. 

"Yeah." Was my soft answer. I felt like crying again but refused to let the tears come out. I wasn't weak.  We finished our coffee in silence after that and Ringo walked me back to the flat. The other three were in the living room, Paul standing by the door again, John looking disinterested that I'd returned and George...poor George still held a bloody handkerchief to his nose. 

"Ashley? You've really gotta stop running out like that, you're gonna give me a heart attack." Paul said with a light chuckle. I think he was trying to lighten the mood. 

"I'm sorry Paul. I won't do it again." I said quietly, avoiding eye contact with any of them. There was sort of an awkward silence.

"Well I need to go grab some stuff for the trip..." Ringo suddenly spoke up.

"I-I'll come with you. I do as well." Paul volunteered. Once the two were gone, John looked from George to me.

"Something tells me you two should be alone for a bit." He said, getting up and grabbing his jacket as well.

"John please...don't leave." I half begged him. George wouldn't speak but John just gave me a sideways glance that said 'talk to him.' and left the flat. I stood still in my coat by the door and an awkward silence filled the room. I wanted to just avoid him altogether so I removed my coat, hung it up and made my way for my bedroom.

"Ashley..." George finally spoke. I froze and cringed.

"Yeah?" I forced myself to say.

"I'm really sorry." He said. I finally willed myself to look at him. He took the handkerchief away from his face and his dark eyes were filled with remorse.

"I...accept your apology." I said softly. He brightened at that.

"So you'll go out with me tonight? I swear we'll actually go somewhere." He said. I sighed.

"No, George...I think we shouldn't..have anything between us for a while." I lowered my eyes again.

"Oh...I see." Was his reply.

"I didn't mean it, Ashley. What happened last night was a mistake. I don't even know who that girl was. I just went for a drink because...I was nervous about taking you out. I do like you. I really do." He tried to get me to forgive him.

"I know...you were drunk. Still, I was hurt and...I need some time." I spoke clearly. He seemed to accept it, but it clearly upset him as he got up without a word and left the flat as well. I sighed. Well wasn't this just wonderful.