Chapter Thirty Four

A/N: Here's the next update I promised. The chapter may have some continuity problems, but I hope you enjoy it nonetheless.

Chapter Thirty Four

Dear John,

I really don't know any other way to lead into this than just to say it. I'm your granddaughter. I know you probably think I'm insane for saying so, but the truth is that I'm not from out of town, and I've only know Paul maybe an hour longer than the rest of you. I'm from the future; December 2015 to be exact and I somehow ended up back in this year with all of you...

It sounded crazy even when I wrote it out! Sighing, I scribble it out and ripped out the page, crumpling it and stuffing it into my bag. I had no idea how to even begin, but I knew I had to do something. I couldn't have John falling in love with me. As for Paul...well I could only deal with one crisis at a time.

"Why do you have to tell him? Just be straight with him, say that you're happy just staying pals." I thought. It seemed the easiest way out. Whichever way I went though, I risked setting him off which I didn't want to do. We had been so good lately. Sitting there in the corner of the lads' dressing room, no one seemed to notice or care that I wasn't in the group laughing and chatting with them. Paul still seemed quiet just from my observance but he was talking with his bandmates a little. It ate at me that I didn't know what was bothering him.

"Deal with both of them after the show." I reasoned. I didn't want to start any drama beforehand that would ruin the show for either of them. Flipping to a new page in my notebook though, I decided to write down my feelings in a journal entry.

February 14, 1964

I'm not even going to write about how today is the wrong concert date (It totally was too) because I've got too much else on my mind. Today was supposed to be great. I was finally getting out of the cold northern states in winter and heading for sunny Miami Florida, only to find that it was pouring rain once we got here. Today was also Valentine's day and it started off wonderful with Paul bringing me a rose. Only now, he won't speak to me, or look at me. The other lads gave me gifts too and John gave me this beautiful locket necklace which is problem number two. I think he might have feelings for me. So I'm completely freaking out for two reasons...

I didn't get very far in my entry because there was suddenly someone standing over me. I looked up and saw it was Paul.

"Hey." I said, snapping my book closed and standing up.

"Hey. Can we talk?" He asked. Those three words were the most dreaded ones in any relationship, even if it was completely unconventional. I swallowed hard.

"Sure." I answered, following him out of the room.

"I want to apologize for whatever I did to make you upset with me." The words came tumbling out of my mouth. Paul shook his head.

"It's not your fault, Ashley. It's clear that we'll always have feelings for one another, but I... I really don't think this is going to work out." Was I hearing right? I had finally accepted this relationship and wasn't weirded out by it, I actually felt something for him and now it was over?

"O-Oh..." I trailed off, suddenly feeling like someone had sucker punched me right in the gut.

"I'm sorry. I hope we're still friends...I just can't compete with him." He said, looking kind of sad. I did a double take.

"Compete with who?" I demanded.

"John of course. It's blatantly obvious." He answered. Well crap...that's what all this had been about?