Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen: Ashley's POV

Well I was home by myself for about an hour when George came in. He didn't want to talk at first, but I sort of just blurted out to him

"Paul's in the hospital and John may just have a death wish!" After further explanation, George decided to go down to the hospital and asked if I wanted to come. He was being so sweet to me that I felt like a monster for earlier.

"No, I should wait here for John." I said anxiously.

"Alright. I'll ring if I see him." He told me, which was nice. Once he left, I tried to keep myself busy but I didn't trust John's judgement. He had the same burning stubbornness he passed to his son and to me. The stubbornness that made us all act rashly. I could go find him but God knows where he even was! I took to cleaning up the kitchen to keep myself busy, but it didn't exactly work as well as I thought. As the day got later, I decided to make something up for dinner that the lads could eat when and if they came home later. I really knew nothing of how Paul was or how long he'd have to stay in the hospital. Regardless, I made up a chili from what I could find in the cupboards and fridge. It was really starting to smell good by the time six rolled around. With no one coming home by then, I really started to get worried, and wondered if I should call the hospital. But just as I was about to, the door opened and George and Ringo came in with Paul. He still looked awful, but he smiled when he saw me.

"Ashley...this isn't as bad as it looks, believe me." He tried to sound macho which was kind of adorable.

"Aww no you look fine. But you should probably lay down. I made up some chili, I'll bring you some." I cooed at him. I felt I should spoil him because he was hurt.

"Okay...where's John?" He asked. I looked at George and Ringo.

"Um, he's out. He'll be in soon." I fibbed. I didn't need him worrying. Ringo took him to his room.

"D you know where John is?" George asked me.

"Not a clue. I'm getting worried, he's been gone for hours." I said, wringing my hands.

"Well...the thing about John is you can't get in his way. Once he gets his mind on something, he's like a dog after a bone." George said. For some reason, my mind went back to earlier with the girl... I shook my head to shake the images from my head.

"Yeah and he really cares for Paul, so that would give him added incentive." I said, biting my lip.

"You got it." George replied. My chili was a success, I got George and Ringo fed before I took Paul's in to him.

"So, tell me the damage." I said, handing him his food. I'd never been in his room before, but my mind was preoccupied, so I didn't think much of it. He was sitting up in bed looking better than he had.

"Well, I guess I cracked a couple ribs but either than that, just bumps and bruises. It looked a lot worse I guess." He shrugged, not thinking much of it.

"Yeah. It didn't look that great. How's your head?" I touched his forehead gingerly. He had a small bandage on it.

"It's okay." He said though I know he winced when I touched the area.

"You poor boy." I smiled at him. It had been an eventful day to say the least.

********************************************

Hours went by and John still didn't return home. I tried to go to bed, exhausted after one hell of a day, but I laid awake, wondering where in God's name John was. Paul fell asleep early, the poor lad and George and Ringo called it an early one as well. Around 11, just as I was finally starting to doze, I heard the front door open and close. Half awake, I jumped out of bed and wrapped a new light shawl around me. I opened the door and went toward the entrance.