Chapter Forty Eight

A/N: Prepare the Kleenex! you have been warned!

Chapter Forty Eight:

I stood in front of the four of them in their suite. I didn't think it would be as difficult as it was, both Paul and John already knew and George and Ringo knew I had to go home at some point, right? But when I told them, the entire room fell silent.

"So when are you leaving?" George asked, his voice sad. I shrugged.

"I don't know. Could be tomorrow, could be a week, a month... I don't really know how this works. Only that it is and... at some point I am going to have to leave you all." I blinked back tears.

"Will you know when you have to go? Like...it seems wrong just for you to leave without a proper goodbye." Ringo asked, his blue eyes fixated on me.

"I-I really don't know. I don't know much. Just that these spells keep happening and twice now I've either dreamed of home or ...some empty place somewhere in between. Time is telling me a don't belong here and it's time for things to go back to the way they were." I explained, though my voice was thick with emotion.

"We're really going to miss you, Ashley. I mean, you've made these last few months just...some of the best." Paul spoke up. The others agreed.

"I know. And I've had some of the best times with all of you, as well. You all know how much I adore each and every one of you. But you'll all be okay without me." Silence fell again as I looked at each of their faces. I realized then just how much I meant to them. John looked at the time then and said

"We should go, we have that interview in half an hour." The mood was definitely anything but positive.

"Do we have to?" George asked.

"Guys, don't get hung up on me. Go about the rest of your day." I told them, though I didn't sound entirely convincing.

"Ashley's right. She's still here, right now. That's the good thing." Paul added, getting up. The others followed suit.

"You're coming with us, right?" Ringo asked. I smiled at him.

"Of course I am." As we headed out, I fought off another spell. Tears threatened again, but I kept a smile on my face. I wouldn't leave. Not yet. I'd get as unwell as I possibly could before giving in because I truly didn't know what was waiting for me back home. I was afraid to know what was waiting for me back in 2015. I couldn't dare get hopeful, the possibility was still there that I'd just wake up to the same old same in my bedroom, only 9 hours later than when I fell asleep. I'd be positively crushed. I thought of my letters, I needed to give them out soon. I reached up and touched my locket, feeling the comfort it brought me. I really wasn't ready to say goodbye to this life, but it had been an amazing ride.

*********************************

The interview went well. To anybody watching, the lads all seemed their peppy, jovial selves, but I knew better. Deep down, they were all saddened by my news, even the two who knew longer. I tried o stay positive, but it wasn't easy. After the interview, we walked around a bit and saw some cool shops. I felt fine while we did that, but I knew it wouldn't last. No one would touch the subject as the afternoon went on, we ended up at a nice restaurant for dinner and just chatted about London. Where our story together began. I remembered how completely confused I was, waking up on that bench in late 1963. I was in yoga pants and a t shirt for goodness sakes. Even by homeless standards, I looked odd. But then Paul had found me, dazed as I was. He believed me from the beginning and took me to get clothes. Me, this girl he'd just barely met and accepted a story that sounded like pure science fiction. I remembered their lovely flat, how I was introduced to the other three and how John at first wasn't a fan of me. I remembered the times I played piano, accompanying them to the studio, hearing them play, the lovely gala I attended on George's arm, spraining my ankle, Paul being hurt, John going after his attackers only to come home late, all bruised and bloodied. We'd had our first honest conversation that night and slow danced to Elvis Presley. So much had happened in such a short amount of time. Some things good, some things not so good. But I wouldn't trade any of those memories and experiences for anything. When we finally returned to the hotel, I planned on turning in, but the others insisted I stay up for a while. So I went back to their suite. As I did, I had another spell. Not a bad one, but they were getting more and more consistent. I openly told them all and the sadness returned. I hated this. I knew I'd see Paul for sure in due time and possibly Ringo... maybe one day if our paths ever crossed. But that was only 2/4. What good was my point of coming here if my future still only had the two left.