One

My pencil slides over the paper, etching smooth dark lines into the cream surface. I can see the small indents the graphite makes, unlike how the Tech Brushes work, just some neon light spraying over a dark background. It's so fake.

I draw out the gentle slopes of the rich people's houses, the flat lines of business buildings that follow the horizon, the irregular edges of the commoner's house, and the smooth round edges of the Center,
then prepare to fill in the soft and dark shadows of the city.

A hum buzzes beside me, and I look up from my sketchpad, where I've almost completed the city scape of my home.

"Christmas tree," a tinkling, phony voice rings out. I roll my eyes, and answer, "Glass shard."

"Wrong answer!" The crackling ball of technology answers, slightly muffled and scratchy.

"Liar," I drawl, skimming my fingers across the rough surface of my roof distractedly. I can't feel it, but sometimes I like to pretend I can, and for a second, just for a second, I can be free and the old me.

The shaking little energy sphere finally breaks open, revealing my best friend, Sharlynn, who mirrors my position, her beautiful blonde hair swept over her shoulder, knees drawn to her chest, and her blue-gray eyes scanning the city.

"Play at five," she says, to no one in particular.

Startled, I tap my wrist and sure enough, a holograph showing the time pops up, and on it reads a '5' in a brilliant shade of blue.

Turning in my direction, she flashes me a brilliant smile. "Knew you'd be here, and I betcha forgot the time again, so I thought I'd send a little reminder."

My lips curve upwards slightly.

"You know what happened today?" Sharlynn asks. I shake my head. Obviously I don't. She sighs and turns to the cityscape. "Shay tried out Edit."

My blood runs cold and my head darts around, staring at her. Sharlynn waits a few seconds, since this is pre-recorded and she is just a hologram in this message. She wouldn't know how long it takes for me to respond, and it's probably safer to wait for me to calm down before elaborating.

"Yeah, you heard me right." Sharlynn continues. She runs a hand through her ponytail and her hair tumbles over her shoulder. I tuck my hair behind my ear, then pull it into a bun, keeping one hand on holding on to it to keep it still. A few seconds later, I let go, and my hair stays like it's been squirted with hairspray. Well, the only difference is that I can change it and "freeze" it again. At any moment. It's amazing.

This is the new tech that I bought with my points. I had a hard time parting with it. I spent so many months saving up and just had to spend it like that. But at least it's much easier to do multiple advertisements a day, for the models and performers. Now I don't have to waste so much precious time on my hair. Hairdos just take up a lot of time, don't you think.

Sharlynn continues taking, telling me more new information. I immediately snap out of my stupor. "I tried to talk her out of it, but it just fell on deaf ears. And today was her first day...she was so awfully excited about it. So I didn't wish to be a wet blanket. I'm sorry. I know how much that had meant to you." Sharlynn says, laughing humorlessly, "but when I think of how much blood they were going to get, I regretted it."

Her eyes turn cold as stone and for a second, a strong feeling of anger, one that burns deep, fills me.

"So...yeah," Sharlynn's shoulders sag. "She's Edited now, and she no longer looks like Shaylee Zenn Walker. She looks like that person in that poster she really likes instead and," she pauses and crinkles her nose, "it's just...gross."

I bite my lip. That's what Edit can do. It changes your features any way you like. Be it blue hair or golden eyes, just switch on your Edit machine, get to that category, and slide your finger or why part of your body, really over the blade on the machine. Then the transformation happens.

It's just like plastic surgery, as what they used to say long ago. But, the process is much simpler. It feels so refreshing, like you're being reborn, but the dark secret lies way deep inside. One that you'll find out and regret it. But it'll be too late for that. You had Edited and that cannot be changed. It's like drawing on paper with a pen. The mark is there. Of course, your Edit will fade, but deep inside, you will know that you have Edited before. And it stays there like a scar, though it can't be seen, but it'll be buried deep inside of you. And it will come back to haunt you.

But there, that's it, after the whole process, you can look like the most amazing person on Earth.

Edit gives you a digital façade, one that last for a month. I can't even believe that people like it. It disgusts me. To me, Edit is like a drug. At first it seems harmless, but once you use it, it gets dark and dangerous like poison. You will be attracted to it and you cannot stop using it. However, when you figure out its darkest secrets and stop, it will not give up and always comes back to haunt you in the middle of the night. When I first stopped using Edit, there would be this voice in my head telling me to use it again and again. But, once it realises you are very determined to stop, and it can't change you, it leaves.

Almost everyone in school uses Edit, and though they're only sixteen, they can look like those international superstars that are twenty-one and above.

"Be punctual," Sharlynn says, smiling before she waves and the crackling technology message consumes her beautiful face, and rolls down the roof and into the Black Hole. I stretch out my legs, exhaling before preparing to get up.

I pick up my pencils and sketchbook, standing up and standing onto the silver disc on my roof. With a small click it starts lowering itself, until it reaches the second level, my room. I switch the green button that's usually used to lower the disc so I can get up to the roof to a red one, locking it.

I chuck my things into my desk, and run a hand through my hair, making it fall over my shoulders. Then I realize my cheeks are very pink. I'm cold, apparently.

I switch on the heater, and stand in front of it. Only when beads of sweat start forming do I turn it off to prevent burning myself.

I change into a black and red plaid shirt with jeans and a winter coat, pulling a beanie on before going downstairs. Standing in front of the mirror, I stare at myself. I look wonderful, although my Edit has worn off. I trace my face on the mirror and looked at my facial features. They aren't that bad actually.

Maybe if I had realized that earlier I wouldn't have to face the loss of so many things now.

My hand vibrates, and I tap my wrist, a holograph with the time popping out, so I snap out of my stupor. It was time to leave. I couldn't stand to be late, and neither did Sharlynn. Sighing, I turn and hurry down the stairs, grabbing my hover board and tossing it out the door.

It lands right outside my door, and I step onto it. It doesn't shake as I get on to it, and metal strips snake out from the board, fastening around my ankles to keep me to the hover board.

"Sharlynn Zara Walker's house," I say.

The hoverboard zips off, and all I have to do is maintain my balance and enjoy the view, trying my best to ignore the giant gaping hole of the Black Hole. I close my eyes, trying to forget the dark images of the death of my parents that clamp onto my mind, and focus on how to not crash into a building.

You didn't even get to bury or burn them.

You're a bad daughter.

You're not worth loving.

Who do you think you are?

I take a deep breath. I am myself, and no one can change that. I learn from my many mistakes, and come back stronger.

I do not need to be afraid.

Are you sure?

This chapter is dedicated to yingfui for encouraging me to post this book. =