Twelve

Carmen picks up her pace, and soon enough we're jogging towards Headquarters to find out why the heck the sensor broke down. When I look up at the opening of the Black Hole, there are many red lines criss-crossing each other, blocking the only way out of this place.

"If I didn't know better," Carmen says, "I'd say it was Chance who decided to come back down."

I let out a breathless laugh, and shake my head. Carmen smiles. We're on good terms now, I guess, no more the backstabbing-dramatic-sarcastic people we used to be.

Upon reaching the "Wastelands", Carmen sighs and begins hopping between the debris again, and I follow suit, always on my toes, always looking out for danger.

Carmen throws the doors of Headquarters open. Inside is pure chaos. There are so many people, demanding answers and in small groups, speculating different reasons for the lockdown of the Black Hole. I cover my ears at the noise. It's irritating and makes me want to yell for the people to shut up. But I don't. If I want to survive, I mustn't rebel.

Then I stop short.

He's here. From across the sea of people I spot his dark hair and blue eyes. Oh stars. Oh stars. Oh stars. He's here. In the Black Hole.

"Carmen," I grab her arm, and she raises her eyebrows.

"C-Chance. He's over there." The words leave my mouth and Carmen stands on her tiptoes, glancing over the crowd. Her eyes meet his and she smiles. A worried, but happy grin breaks out over his face too, and my chest aches. His eyes shift a little, and come to rest on me.

His smile evaporates, and I quickly avert my eyes, keeping my head down. "I'm feeling unwell, I'll be in the room," I murmur to Carmen, who frowns at me, and grabs my arm, stopping me.

And then a strong, familiar arm wraps around my waist, and I turn around to look into the eyes of Dustin. I thrash in his grip, kicking his shins, and he rolls his eyes, throwing his hands up in mock surrender. I don't know what to think of him now. He means well, it appears, but he's still being a jerk.

"It's just that we've found out why the Black Hole has shut down and locked is in here," he says, and I straighten up.

"Why?" Carmen and I ask unanimously. I have a feeling that Chance is staring at me right now, but I don't want to turn around. I shouldn't be forgiven, not by him, not at this moment.

"Because of me," someone says from my left, and I turn around, startled.

And there he stands. He stares right at me, and I try to look away, but I can't. There is so much I want, I need to tell him, but I'm so afraid. I'm afraid he'll walk away or hate me or...

I don't have any time to think before Chance's lips are on mine. He gently pulls me closer, wrapping his arm around my back, and I can feel it. I can feel his lips against mine, the heat of his breath on my cheeks, the pressure of his arm on the small of my back. I kiss him back, because I'm too scared. What if we run out of time tomorrow? Will I ever get to tell him I love him?

Chance deepens the kiss slowly, savouring every second, every moment. I get lost in his arms, and my fear temporarily evaporates. I pull back slightly for air, his lips trailing to my cheek before he brings his mouth back to mine, and he murmurs my name softly, so quietly that I almost don't catch it. He tightens his arms around me and his kisses turn a little more urgent, like he needs to tell me something, like there's something I've been kept in the dark about.

I match his pace, and on a whim I run my fingers through his dark soft hair. He pulls back, and I kiss the rough stubble on his chin, his cheek which still has a faint bruise on it and the tip of his nose. I've missed him so much, and I don't ever want to let him go. Standing on my tiptoes, I brush my lips against his, faltering for a second as he stares into my eyes.