Sway

I must have watched the extract that Val sent me about a hundred times that night, sat with both hands clamped over my mouth, my eyes stinging with tears. When I wasn't watching it I was discussing it, breathlessly, with Val. Sleep was out of the question.

He told me how his brother had called him, from his night shift, after having to check a security camera that had apparently failed following a power cut. But the camera hadn't failed, and when he checked back through what it had recorded, he found what he thought was his early retirement fund.

"He wanted to sell it immediately," Val said, contempt dripping from his voice.

"Well of course he did. He's Andrej," I whispered – my mother was in the next bedroom. "He doesn't give a toss about our otp. Why would he? But you know what, Val? Actually, I have some sympathy with him. I mean think about it - what's it worth? Thousands? Hundreds of thousands? More? I mean, think what you could do with that kind of money..."

"No no," Val said. I could tell he was tired because his Czech accent was growing stronger and his words slowing down into those deliberate, English-but-not-English kind of sentences. "That tape is for a secret that we will be holding. Already I told Andrej that if he tries do anything then I will tell the hotel that he stole it AND I will tell them about... the time he was filming girls that... you know... they were in a changing room.  Zvrhlik!  I can tell you then he won't have a job and then he will be... it will be major trouble for him, you know? – I am thinking it will be...  the police. Don't you think?"

I think I understood what he was saying. I was sat, cross-legged on my bed, looking down, one hand clamping my phone to my ear, the other toying with a little 1D charm bracelet that Chloe had bought me once as a joke from Claire's Accessories. I had wound the now-discoloured chain of the bracelet around the ends of my fingers so that the charms dangled down, and I watched as the faces of Harry and Zayn swung back and forth beneath my hand.