Chapter Three

Dedicated to summerintheclouds! She made my awesome cover page!

~Chapter Three:~

“It is never too late to fall in love” - Anonymous 

I was woken up by someone knocking on my front door. Once I realized what the obnoxious sound was, a string of profanities came out of my mouth as I realized I was in just a sweatshirt and my underwear. Judging from the knocks, whoever it is, is getting rather impatient. I stumbled out of bed, quickly threw on a pair of sweatpants that were lying by my bed, and walked to my door, ready to chew someone out for waking me up at an ungodly hour; six in the morning. I don’t have to wake up until eight since my show isn’t until nine. Goodness gracious, someone wants to be killed today apparently. 

I opened my door to see my neighbor, Claudia, standing there with her two children, Abby and Jaden, in tow behind her. I gave her the best smile I could manage while being woken up at six o’clock in the morning, “Hello, Claudia. What can I do for you?” 

Claudia sighed, “I got called into work, again. It was supposed to be my day off, so I canceled the babysitter for today. Can you please watch Abby and Jaden today? I don’t know when I’ll be back, but I swear I will try to hurry whatever emergency there is waiting for me.” 

Claudia is a single mother in her mid-thirties who works as a doctor at the Harlem Hospital Center which is a five block walk to the subway station where she then takes the subway to the hospital. Whenever this happens, which is frequently, I’ll watch her five year old twins while she works. They’ve been to work with me so many times, they know everyone in the station by their first and last names.  So about twice a week the twins and I make the almost fifteen minute walk down twelve blocks to the radio station. Every once in awhile they’ll be on with me and Charlie and we’ll do a couple of games with them; they really enjoy it. 

I smile and nod, telling her I’d take them in for the day. before she leaves I tell her about Harry coming over in about an hour and a half to accompany me to work. To which she immediately exclaimed in joy and put her arms around my neck in excitement, “It’s about time you had some romance in your life! I was beginning to think you were gay!” 

I laughed along with her, I’m definitely not gay, not at all. After she left, I looked at the two children staring at me. 

“Auntie Mel? Do you have a boyfriend?” Abby asked me in her cute small voice. 

I smiled, “I’m not sure sweetheart. But guess what!” I exclaimed while looking at Jaden and Abby, when they asked me what I was talking about I told them, “Remember the princess in that story I told you about? She found a really sweet guy and she finally got her first kiss!” 

I watched as Abby and Jaden’s eyes widened, “Really?” They both exclaimed. 

I nodded my head, “She really likes him, he makes her want to believe in love. Can you believe that?” I asked them.

Abby spoke up, “Yeah, I can, Auntie Mel! He’s able to make her forget all of the pain she went through growing up. He makes her feel all weird inside and she’s going to love him forever.”

What does Claudia have these two watching and reading; Romance? Goodness that was the wisest thing I think I have ever heard come out of a five year olds mouth. I heard someone clear their throat from the front door, which I had accidentally left open. I looked up to see Harry standing there, smiling a smile that lit up the whole room in my eyes. 

“I bet she makes him feel all weird inside too. I bet he can see himself having a future with her as well.” He says while smiling at me. It’s only been a day but I swear there is a high possibility of me liking him more than I intended.