I am sure he has a crush on you.

The day began as usual. I was about to have my breakfast when the doorbell rang.

"You ready to go?" Gaurav asked me as soon as I opened the door. He came to pick me up at eight in the morning?

"I take it you are not." He said after he took in my appearance. I was not dressed for office.

"You don't actually go in this early." I said after I invited him in.

"Actually, in my usual routine, I need to stop for breakfast."

"I can solve that problem." I said and set a plate out for him. "Join me for breakfast."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course. Also, don't worry, my cooking isn't that bad." I assured him.

He didn't say anything as he ate the parathas I offered him.

After I did the dishes, I left him in the living room as I went to change.

Gaurav waited for me in the car as I locked the front door.

"Thank you for picking me up." I said as I entered the car.

"No problem. Also, you did repay me by offering me homemade food."

I smiled at him. I saw him miss the right turn to our office.

"You missed the turn." I pointed out.

"Oh, I didn't miss it. We are going to ArcTech. I need to get the petitions signed so that I could file them today." He told me.

"Oh okay."

A few minutes into the ride, my phone rang. It was Maya calling, probably to ask me why I was late.

"Hey, where exactly are you? I saw your car in the parking lot." She spoke when I answered.

"I am not in the office at the moment."

"Then you better hurry to office. You are lucky, he isn't here yet."

"I know Maya. I am going to ArcTech with him."

"You are? Shreya is going to be so jealous" I chuckled.

"I know. Well, see you soon."

"Okay bye."

As I finished the call, I felt his eyes gaze at me.

"Do you guys think of me as some terror boss?" He asked me.

"No. What makes you think that?"

"Clearly that was a phone call asking you to be at the office before I came in."

"It wasn't."

"Are you lying to me Kavya? I am a lawyer; I can tell if someone is lying. I do that for a living."

"As a matter of fact, I am not. She was just concerned about me. She saw my car and I didn't turn up till now."

"Oh." He seemed to believe that.

I had successfully lied to Gaurav Rathore.

We reached ArcTech and one of the employees showed us to CEO's cabin.

"Gaurav, thanks for meeting me here. Take a seat."

"Good morning Shyam."

"Good morning. Who is this lovely lady?" He asked pointing towards me.

"That is Kavya, she helps me in office. In fact, it was she who found us our major argument in this case."

"I did?" I asked Gaurav, not believing a word he said.

"Oh yes." He opened the file and indicated at a transaction that I had marked doubtful.

"This is huge." Shyam said with a bright smile. "This is why I believe in you."

"You know where to sign." Gaurav said and the other guy nodded before picking a pen from the desk to sign the papers.

Being a lawyer was no piece of cake. The profession required a lot of patience and self- control. I admired the way people like Gaurav carried themselves confidently to the court.

'Your confidence matters the most' He had told me when I was afraid to represent a high profile case.

"I think Gaurav Rathore has a soft spot for you Kavya. I am jealous of you." Shreya said during lunch one day.

"No he doesn't."

"Oh yes, he might have a crush on you." Neha said tapping her chin.

"Oh please, as if there is no one else around here for him to have a crush." I countered.

"Look, he is looking at us." That was when I noticed, Gaurav was in the cafeteria too.

He started walking towards the four of us.

"Hi."

We all acknowledged him with a smile while Maya asked, "Do you need something Gaurav?"

"Oh, I am here to talk to Kavya." He told her and turned to face me.

"Do you want to come to the court with me today? The court is going to pass the judgement on ArcTech merger. I am pretty sure we will win."

We had filed that case a month back. The opposition had put up a plea to freeze the company accounts and the judge had sanctioned that. We needed to act quickly and that was exactly what he did. And here, we had achieved that in a month. If Gaurav was this confident, it was definite, the ruling was going to be in our favour.

"Oh, I have a case to represent." I told him.

"You can send someone else. Come with me?"

Did he want me there?

"Sure."

"Okay, I'll see you in," He paused to look at his watch and continued, "half an hour."

I nodded and he walked away.

"I am sure he has a crush on you." Shreya said.

"No way."

"Yes way. You cannot win against me on this. If you are the lawyer here, I am the love expert. I just want to say, I am happy for you."

"I don't have time to argue with you. Even if what you say is true, it doesn't matter to me."

"Does he know about... you know?" Neha questioned.

"I've told him about the divorce, not about my Rishi though."

"He knows about the divorce and is okay with it right, he might truly like you."

"I do not believe that. Anyways I have to go soon."

We finished lunch soon enough. I went to the floor where the independent attorneys usually sat and quickly searched for Ashita. She handled family cases and she had mentioned to me earlier that she had a case in the afternoon session. She agreed to represent for me. I told my client to go with her and just ask the judge to post the case for another day.

I saw Gaurav waiting for me in the lobby. We walked together to his car while talking about how we were going to win this case.

PIC: Kavya