Life Changing Decisions

It was the day of the verdict on Meera's case, the day I promised I would give Gaurav an answer.

I couldn't sleep since I was a bit worried about the outcome of the case rather than my life changing decision. I made breakfast for Gunjan, who was in the seventh month of her pregnancy. She was getting crankier by the day. But, Karthik was usually on the receiving end of her wrath even after being miles away from her. I did explain to him that the distance was the reason for her behaviour. He promised to come by on weekends since travelling from Delhi to Mumbai daily wasn't an option.

I finished up in the kitchen and went to my room for a shower. I changed to my usual white saree and black blouse. I tied my hair up in a pony, a little different from my usual bun. Also I applied a little bit make up than my usual kajal.

"You look different, what is special today?" Gunjan asked me as we sat down for breakfast.

"Nothing. I just had a bit of extra time." I replied.

"Are you sure you aren't hiding anything from me?" Her senses were getting too strong.

"I am, why don't you believe me?"

"I don't know, you tell me."

"Whatever bhabhi, you sure you'll be okay without me."

"Why do you make me repeat the same answer every day? I will be fine Kavya."

"Well, I am going to ask Gaurav for a few days leave today. I am not with okay leaving you alone. I have something in mind for after that."

I drove to work as usual. I was caught up in the case I had to represent when I heard the door open.

"Aren't you going to the high court today?" Gaurav asked popping in my cabin. He was texting on his phone, not looking at me. That was so unlike him. He was dressed in the usual white dress shirt and his black three piece suit. He had abandoned the jacket for some reason but he did justice to the vest.

"Yep." I said, a bit reluctant.

"Great, I'll give you a ride. I heard the verdict is out already." He said, still not looking up.

"And?"

"Oh, I want you to come read it with me there. We have a lot to discuss after that." He said finally looking up. The look on his face boosted my confidence. Also, I didn't miss the inner meaning of that sentence.

He almost immediately went back to texting.

"I am just clearing my schedule for the rest of the day. We can leave by one if that is okay with you?" His expression was like he was sure I would say yes.

"It'll be fine."

"Okay, I'll see you then."

I was done with my case by twelve and I finished up the leftover paperwork before leaving with Gaurav. I didn't bother telling anyone I was leaving since I was sure Maya already would know Gaurav's schedule.

The car ride to the court was silent. I kept on checking my bag for the letter I had printed out for Gaurav as my response to his question while he kept on stealing glances once in a while.

After he parked the car, we walked together to the office. After the official showed us the verdict, Gaurav spoke.

"Go ahead, read it."

I unenthusiastically opened the book to find my case number. Gaurav stood behind me with folded hands.

"We won." I whispered after I read and re-read the verdict.

"We did."

I don't know who was happier, me or him. He asked for the printed copy to the concerned official while I called Meera to inform her about the win.

"I believe you have some answers ready for me." Gaurav said as we walked back.

"I do."

"Good, we will talk about it over lunch. Okay?" He asked and I nodded in response.

He drove us to the nearby restaurant. The manager showed us to our seats. Gaurav waited till we placed our order.

"So, I suppose you have decided."

"I have."

"And, what is it?" He asked hoping for good news.

I handed over the envelope I had in my bag.

He started reading it. He paused to look at me.

"This...?"

"Please read the whole thing first." He obliged and focussed on the paper in his hand.

"You are quitting. That is your answer."

"That is a part of my answer."

"What do you mean Kavya? I told you, me confessing my feelings shouldn't get in the way of your career."

"And I did promise it wouldn't."

"Then what is the meaning of this?"

"I don't want to continue in your firm and date you at the same time."

"Wait... what?"

"I am saying yes. I would be lying if I say I don't have feelings for you."

"But why quit?"

"I don't want people talking behind my back. I don't think I'll be able to handle it."

"That is understandable. So what about during this one month notice period you are serving?"

"We have to keep this a secret till then."

"One month? Are you sure?"

"Totally."

"But I can't promise anything." He said, smirking.

"Don't you worry about that, I'll be away most of the time during this notice period. I have a lot of vacation days which I am going to use to take care of Gunjan."

"So, who all will know about us?"

"Karthik, Gunjan and just a few close friends from my side, who I am sure won't gossip about this to others."

"You mean the three you hang around with all the time?"

"Yep, will that be a problem?"

"No, I am okay with announcing to the whole world at this moment."

"So, who all will you tell?"

"Rahul, Sneha and probably my family."

I was a bit scared about his family part. But, it was only fair if he got to tell them because my family would know.

He excused himself to go to the restroom. As I sat there waiting for him, somebody who I hadn't thought about in a while approached me.