Last Day

"What is going on?" It was Karthik who broke the silence that had formed.

"Aren't you hungry?" I asked him grabbing the plates.

"Kavya, answer me."

"Oh come on guys, isn't it obvious? We are together. Get over it and have some dinner."

I turned to face Gaurav who had said that. I never expected him to say that out loud, not so soon.

"What?" He asked me and I just stood there gaping at him.

"You know I don't like beating around the bush." He said.

"We know." Maya, Neha, Shreya, Sneha and Rahul said together. I turned to face my brother and sister in law. Gunjan was smiling while Karthik had a blank expression on his face.

"You know Kavya, I never expected this from you." He said and stood up from his seat and stormed off to his room.

I was about to follow him, but Gaurav stopped me.

"I'll talk to him." He said.

"No, I think you guys should wait here. I'll go get him." Gunjan said trying to get up from her seat.

"Gunjan, just stay in your seat. Give him a few minutes, he'll be back." We all turned to Rahul when he said that. He was so confident that Karthik would come around. Truth be told, I never expected this kind of reaction from him. He has always encouraged me to forget the past and move ahead in life. I don't know what just happened.

"It'll be okay." Gaurav tried to console me as I was on the verge of tears.

"Here, take it." Karthik said handing Rahul a cheque.

"You bet on us?" Gaurav asked. Now I understand why Rahul calmly told us that he would come around. He knew Karthik was upset about losing the bet.

"You should have waited two more months Kavya. I would have won."

"Two months? When exactly did you place the bets?" Gaurav asked. I still was trying hard to digest everything that was going on. I was thinking they all would be shocked after hearing about us, but I ended up as the one being shocked.

"What do you think we did when you both disappeared into the kitchen that day after lunch?" Karthik asked.

"You overheard us?"

"No. After the ladies started talking we ran out of topics. So we thought about what you would be up to. I told him you were probably going to ask Kavya out. Then Karthik said Kavya wouldn't go out with you anytime soon. I told him she would within a month. Karthik got cocky and said give it even three months, still Kavya wouldn't date you. And here I win." Rahul explained.

"I should have agreed to the one month. But, I am happy for you Kavya. You deserve to be happy."

I managed to smile at him.

"Is that all you guys had to say?" Shreya asked and I found the courage to speak up.

"No, there is one more thing. I am going to quit the job."

"Tell me you are not serious." Neha said.

"Come on Kavya, you can't quit without notice."

"I am serving my one month notice period and I don't want anyone apart from us knowing about Gaurav and I."

"I understand what you mean, but without you I will be bored to death. My boss is such a serious dude. He doesn't know to have fun."

"Don't worry, he'll come around." I said finally and all of us laughed.