You don't have to run or hide

Time passed quickly and before I knew, it was time to meet Gaurav's parents. I decided to wear a light blue saree with a simple golden border on it. I didn't bother with much make up. I had prepared 'Halwa' to take with me. I remember Gaurav saying his mom believed in taking something when you are invited over for food.

I was a bit nervous as I rang the bell at his house. I had the key to his place, but it didn't seem right barging in when his parents were there. Gaurav opened the door soon enough.

"Kavya, you have a key remember?"

"I know, still I didn't want to surprise your parents with my presence."

I looked around to see his parents, but everything seemed like usual.

"Did I forget to mention that they are staying at my sister's place?"

"But, I thought your sister wasn't coming till next week." I said as I walked in.

"They aren't there. My mom feels that my place is unclean and needs too much effort on her part to make it presentable. So, they chose to say in a house that hasn't been cleaned for almost a year."

"So, when are we going there?"

"As soon as I get dressed." He said as he sat down on the couch.

"Then go get dressed."

It was already seven and I didn't even know when they were expecting me.

"You seem to be in a hurry to meet your future in-laws."

"I don't want them to hate me before they even meet me."

His dad being a retired army man, I expect him to be punctual.

"Chill Kavya, it is only a fifteen minute walk from here. They are expecting you at around eight. We have plenty of time."

"I just don't want them to hate me."

"Oh Kavya, trust me. They are going to love you. There is nothing for you to worry about."

He soon went and changed and we walked to his sister's house. He opened the door and we went in. his parents were seated in front of the television.

"Mom, dad, meet Kavya." Gaurav said and turned to me, "and Kavya, meet my mom Chitra and my dad Vijay Rathore."

"Namaste" I greeted them.

His dad wasn't as strict as you expect an ex-military man to be. His mother was way too sweet.

"You did not have to bring this." She told me as I handed over the sweet I had prepared to her.

"I wanted to."

Gaurav and his dad were watching the cricket match that was on and I decided to help his mother in the kitchen.

"I haven't seen him so happy since his college days. It is all because of you. His happiness is what matters to me the most."

"I can understand." I said knowing what it is like to love your own flesh and blood.

"You should be very strong to survive all that pain. I can't even think of losing my Gaurav. I don't mean to pry or open your healed wounds."

"It is okay. You never get over that pain. Every day you wake up, you know what you lost. You just learn to live with it."

"No one should have to go through such a pain. I am sorry I didn't mean to make you cry."

I hadn't realised when I started crying.

"I am sorry, I didn't mean to."

"It is totally fine auntyji. It is just that I still can't think about rishi without tearing up."

"Beta, you are soon going to be a part of this family. You can call me maa."

I was really surprised that they had both accepted me with open arms. Usually Indian parents aren't huge fans of their sons preferring to marry a divorcee or widow.

"Beta, there is a washroom upstairs, go get freshened up."

I looked at my reflection. Choosing not to wear Mascara was a good move, otherwise my eyes would've been a mess from all the crying. I fixed my face before going back downstairs to the hosts. They were all waiting for me at the dinner table.

Dinner was a pleasant affair. The food was tasty and the added bonus was the fact that Gaurav's mom couldn't stop talking about him. Spending time with them reminded me how much I missed my parents.

"I am really glad I got to meet the two of you." I said as we stood to leave.

"So are we. It is really nice to finally put a face to the name. he wouldn't even show us a picture of you saying we need to meet you in person before seeing pictures."

"I didn't know that." We all looked at Gaurav who had the 'I got what I wanted look on his face'

"Anyway, we should do this again when Shivani is here."

"I would love to."

Gaurav and I walked back to his house.

"I think it is going to rain." Gaurav said.

"Not every time we walk home it is going to rain."

He stopped to look at me.

"What?" I asked.

"What did you just say?" he asked, his eyes fixed on me as if he was taking the whole scene in.

"I said it is not going to rain whenever we walk together."

"No, you said home. You referred to my place as home."

I hadn't even realised that I said that. Maybe deep inside I knew it was my future.

"I can't explain how happy it makes me."

The thing is, he didn't have to. It was evident from his face.

"I love you Kavya, I am never going to let you go." He said and hugged me.

As we stood there embracing each other, it started to rain.

"I love you too." I murmured.  

He pulled out of the hug; his eyes were on mine.

"This time you don't have to run or hide." He told me just before he pulled me closer and kissed me.

I noticed Gaurav beside me as I woke up. Our clothes were scattered all over the floor. Memory of the nights happenings came to me. This was not part of the plan when I left home last night. But everything happens for a reason right? Well, I am glad it happened.