I am ready to go back

Kavya

Time flies when you are not looking.

It had been about four months since I had moved to Bangalore. Most of the my day was spent on visiting exhibitions, painting, cooking and cleaning. At times I would space out thinking about what would have been and what would my future look like if I made one solid decision.

It was during one of my random visits to an art exhibition that I met Lily Sharma. I was just roaming around look at various pieces of the maiden exhibition of a twenty-two year old artist. He sure was talented to achieve this kind of success at such a young age. I was standing alone in front of one of the more intricate drawings when Lily Sharma approached me.

"You seem to have an eye for good art." She said as she stood next to me gazing at the same piece.

"Thanks. " I said and nodded, while she smiled at me, so I added, "I am Kavya." I said

"Lily – this is my gallery."

"Oh, I did not know that."

"But, I have noticed you here. Especially in the odd hours of the day. No one frequents this place weekdays at noon." She said. She had definitely noticed me roaming around here.

"That's because I prefer looking at the art when it is less crowd. I prefer the silence." I said and she nodded.

"Judging by your look, let me guess, you are in the business." She said motioning towards the walls.

"Let's not call it business. I am passionate about art and have a few pieces I am proud of. Never displayed it anywhere though."

"Would you like me to give them a look? If I like it, which I think I will, judging from your taste in art, we can make a deal out of it." She suggested.

I liked how a woman I just met had this much confidence in my work.

"Thank you so much for the offer Lily. I cannot believe this is happening. But, I am not ready for it. Not yet. Can I get back to you on it though?" I asked hoping she wouldn't say no.

"There is no rush sweetie. Take your own time. Days, weeks, months. Art cannot be rushed. Trust me I know that. Just don't take too many years. For the time being, I am not going anywhere. You can get back to me when you are ready."

"Thanks Lily. This means so much to me, more than you think. I will try my best. In the meantime, I will just enjoy what other artists have to offer."

The thing that attracted me the most was that it had a reputation of being the debutant's gallery. Every new artist wanted to have their maiden exhibition here. They'd get a grand opening over the weekend and get to display the pieces for a week/until every piece was sold, whichever was earliest. Then the cycle continued. I'd never even been on an opening here and I was being offered a chance of my own. This was something I was looking forward to spend my time on.

With Nidhi around, I was a changed person. I would look after her when her dad had to stay late in office. It was a good thing she liked spending time with me. Her grandparents would visit often and I got acquainted to them as well. And they, by extension, to Karthik Gunjan and Rishu. Nidhi loved playing with Rishu. Karthik and Gunjan adored her and they liked Nikhil as well. Rahul and Sneha also used to drop by at times. The fact that Bangalore happened to be Sneha's hometown gave them a reason to visit the city. I still think Rahul tagged along to spy on me for his best friend rather than to visit his in-laws, who in his own words were the 'scariest people on earth'. Rahul though liked Nidhi, was not very keen about my friendship with Nikhil. I was yet to figure out why I was not taking a step forward and contacting Gaurav.