Please tell me what happened?

Gaurav

"Maa, have you seen Kavya?" I asked walking into the room where my mother and sister sat, talking to each other. Kavya had excused herself to go use the washroom and that was about an hour ago. I know I should have looked for her earlier, but then again I got caught up talking to my dad. I figured she would be with my mom and Shivani.

"I think she left, like a few minutes ago" It was Shivani who answered.

My mom had a guilty look on her face while my sister seemed indifferent.

"What is wrong maa?" I asked while picking my phone and dialling Kavya's number.

My mom was mumbling something while I focussed on the phone ringing on the other end, waiting for Kavya to answer it.

"Hello" I said to the phone before realising that Kavya had ignored my call and it was the recorded message playing the person I have tried to contact is not able to answer my call.

"Sorry, what were you saying?" I asked again.

"You need not blame maa, okay? It was all me. I think she overheard us and that is why she ran."

"You made the poor thing cry. I should have stopped you Shivi. What the hell is wrong with me? I mean I didn't know she was listening. I didn't think she would run away before coming to you. I should have gone behind her."

"Maa, Shivani, slow down. What happened? What did you say to Kavya?"

I tried calling her phone again and this time the recorded voice said, the number I am trying to call is either switched off or out of coverage area. Guessing from the looks on the faces of the ladies I front of me, I think it is the former.

"Please tell me what happened?"

"Bhai, just patiently listen to me first before jumping to conclusions." Shivani started.

Listening to what they had been saying made my blood boil. I can't believe Shivani said all those things. Knowing Kavya, it would have opened up old wounds. I can only hope she didn't hear everything they said.

"Thank you Shivani for getting rid of the only girl I ever loved. What did I do to you to deserve this?"

"Bhai, I only want the best for you. Why would you want to be with her when you can get better..."

"I am going to stop you there Shivani. I am with her because she makes me happy. Unlike the so called better girls, she has a beautiful soul. And to answer your question of how her kid died, it was not any genetic defect from her side of the family. I can tell you that much, but I won't dwell into the details because it is not my place to say."

"Bhai, I am so sorry but I still feel you deserve better. Okay, it doesn't matter how she lost her child, the fact is..."

"Shivi please stop. You don't know half of what happened. If anyone deserves better, it is her. Trust me. I have seen how broken she was. You don't know how much effort it took for her family and friends to bring her back to her normal self. I am glad I got to be a part of that. Looking back now, I feel I should've tried harder."

"But bhai, I did this for you."

"No Shivi, you did this for yourself. You don't even have the slightest idea of what I want. And maa, you were right. You should have stopped her from saying all this. I thought you liked her, you trusted your son to make the right choice. But apparently not. I don't have time to waste. I am going to look for her."

"I can come with you beta, I will tell her it was all a misunderstanding. All I want is for you to be happy."

"No maa, if that was the case, you would've stopped Shivi. It is better if you stay here. It is better that way and if I am lucky, she will take me back. You know, I can only hope she does."

As I drove to her place, I was glad for the lack of traffic. Still, I am sure I ran over a few signals. I rang the bell at her place, hoping she would open the door. Her car was in the driveway which meant, she had come home, running from mine.

I knocked on the door, but she wouldn't open the door. The lights inside were off and if I were to guess, she would be curled up in her room crying. I tried calling her again, but her phone was still unreachable. I sat outside her door, deciding that I would wait until she opens the door. After a while I saw Karthik's car pull up. She will have to open the door now. I gave him and Gunjan a vague description of what happened as I saw them open the door with their set if spare keys.

I called out her name rushing to her room. But she wasn't there. I checked the washroom, which to my disappointment was also empty.

"Gaurav, I think you should come see this." Karthik called out from the living room and I rushed out.

"Where is she?"

He did not reply, instead handed me a piece of paper. I didn't realise I was crying until I saw a drop fall to the paper in my hand.

"No no no. She can't be that far away, Karthik I will go to the railway station, you go to the airport. Please we need to find her. I need to apologize."

"No Gaurav, she wants to be alone. It is hard for me, but she wants to be left alone. I can't help you. I am sorry." Karthik said handing over the engagement ring I had given her to me.

"But, no I won't give up. She asked you to stay away. I will find her."

As I ran towards the door, I saw Gunjan trying to pacify her crying child. It seemed like the infant understood her aunt had left her.