Chapter 16 - Dilation again

The camera moves over the crowd as they clap for Thea Kendra. She waves to the crowd and walks off the stage. Her high-waist pencil skirt stops just above her knee and matches perfectly with the blood red shirt she's paired it with. She disappears into the group to the left of the stage. The announcer clears his throat and gets ready to announce the 5th member of The System.

I look around the lounge. Mum and dad have their eyes glued to the television. They've been waiting for the announcing of the members of The System since last week Friday. I quickly turn back to the television screen.

"The 5th member of The System is Virote Montri." Says the announcer.

My parents gasp in shock. My father looks at my mother.

"I thought he was dead! He's been missing for the past two years!" my father says.

"Shssss! Listen!" replies my mother, eyes fixed on the TV screen.

The crowd at the function grows louder with every passing second. Whispers about Viro's disappearance and sudden reappearance float through the air. The announcer notices the growing unsettlement and attempts to silence the crowd.

"The rumours of the disappearance and/or death of Mr Virote Montri were clearly untrue and it is now public that he has spent the last two years working with The System to help our problem of overpopulation." The announcers says in a calming voice.

My father stands up looking confused.

"Why would they need a software engineer to help with the overpopulation problem?" he asks to no one specifically.

"Do you think it has anything to do with programmes they have you and Carter working on?" my mother asks him. I can't help but notice the fear in her eyes.

"No... they can't! They can't take away the freedom of humankind with a programme like that! I need to speak to Carter now. It's inhumane!" My father says and runs off to the kitchen to use the house phone.

"Al its past your bedtime, honey. Let me get you in bed." My mother says to me and holds out her hand for me to hold.

I grab her hand and head to bed, not the slightest bit affected by what just happened. I don't expect the events of this night to ever affect our lives again so I doze off peacefully listening to mum read my bedtime story. I am only seven.

5 years later:

Someone bangs on the door aggressively.

"Coming!" I shout, rushing to the door.

The banging keeps getting louder and more aggressive. I run faster curious and scared to find out who would bang the door so hard and why they would do it.

Why didn't I just go grocery shopping with my parents?

I open the door to find Jason's father out of breath. His expression full of fear. He inhales trying to catch his breath. He runs into the house and bangs the door shut, locking it.

"Uncle Carter, what's wrong?" I ask worriedly.

"Where is your father Ally? Quick! They're coming!" he says between breaths.

"He went to the mall with mum. They should be back in about an hour. Why? Who's coming?" I say grabbing a bottle of water and handing it to him.

"Dammit!" he says angrily throwing the water bottle down. "Okay Ally I need to tell you some important things that you must tell your dad!" he continues emphasising the word must.

I nod but I suddenly feel terrified.

Why is he so scared? Who's coming after him?

He takes out a medium sized injection. It looks like a dentist's anaesthesia injection. I see a clear liquid in the small vial on the side. A lump forms in my throat and I swallow.

"Wha... what is... that?" I say fearfully.

"I'll need to inject you with this. But don't worry it won't hurt." He replies.

He inserts the injection into my neck and takes it out. I wince and a small tear forms in my eye.

"Sorry Al. It will be okay in a few seconds. Okay now listen! You need to tell your dad these exact words; 'They are using the nanobots to initiate the programme. Alannah is the key'." He says slowly.
"Now repeat what I said." He commands.

"They are using the nanobots to initiate the programme. I am the key." I say after him.

"Alannah is the key! When you tell him, say it exactly as I told you!" he says a bit angrily.

"Okay I will... I promise." I reply.

He grabs me and hugs me before opening the door and running off. When he reaches the road he turns.

"Tell Sheena and Jason I love..." He shouts.

A loud bang drowns out the rest of his words. I turn to the right to see four men with guns running into a black van which drives away quickly. I look back at Uncle Carter only to see him lying on the floor in a pool of blood. I run towards him, tears streaming from my eyes. Kneeling next to him, I start to cry hysterically and hold his arm.

"Uncle Carter! Hang in there I'm going to call an ambulance." I say between sobs.

As I stand up he grabs my hand.

"No it's too late for me... But you can save... my and your family... Just tell your father exactly what... I... told you!" he says struggling to find the strength to speak.

"Goodbye, Alann..."

Tears pour down my face, my lungs gasping for air between my sobs.

Uncle Carter is gone.

He's dead.

___________

Okay so I had a bit of writers block so this chapter took a teeny bit longer than usual lol

I just want to send a shout out to Alexis_Smith003 for all her support on my book :) Will you guys follow her or check out her book. She's writing a romance about Bethany Mota.

Don't forget to tap the little star :)

★★★