Day 9: Luke Blurb - Putting up the Star

"How's it going in here, baby girl?" Luke asks, leaning against the archway between the kitchen and living room.

You turn around, smiling widely, as you hold a red and white glass ornament in your hands.

"Good! I just have the star left after this!" You explain, placing the ornament high up on the tree.

"Do you want any help?"

You shake your head, clutching the star tightly to your chest. "No! I mean, no thank you, baby. I just like to do this part on my own. It makes me think of when I bought this star. It was the first year I had moved out on my own, and it makes me think of how independent I was." You smile fondly down at the glass star in your hands.

"You're still my independent, Y/N, that I fell in love with." Luke chirps, snapping you from your trance.

"Thanks, Lu." You move closer to the tree. "Are you ready for the best part?" You ask, a childish excitement evident on your features.

Luke nods, encouraging you to put it up. You stand on your tip toes, struggling to reach the top of the tree. Of course Luke had to buy the tallest tree on the lot. A giant would have no second thoughts for someone of an average height trying to decorate the tree. You stand straight, pulling your shirt down in frustration as it had ridden up a bit when you were stretching the first time. You stand on your tip toes, stretching your arms as far up as possible to reach the tip, falling short a few inches. You shuffle back, huffing in frustration.

"Want some help, baby girl?" Luke smirks from the archway, crossing his arms across his chest.

"No, I've got this, Lu. Just let me take a running start."

"Y/N, if you take a running start you're going to take the tree down with you."

"Just trust me on this, Lu." You grumble, taking a bit of a running start and jumping up to try and quickly place the star on top of the tree. A frown forms on your lips when you realize you still fell short.

"Y/N, just le-"

"Luke, please. I've got this!"

You stand as close as possible to the tree, the tips of the branches tickling the bare skin of your stomach and arms as you stretch to reach the top, your fuzzy Christmas sweater rising with your stretch, your feet wobble slightly as you put your body weight on your tip toes; you stick your tongue out in concentration as you just barely graze the top, suddenly you feel Luke's body pressing against yours as his right hand reaches up to help you place the star on the top of the tree.

"I could've done it." You mumble into his chest as you turn around.

"I know, but I couldn't stand to watch you struggle anymore." He chuckles, kissing the top of your head gently.

"Thanks." You whisper, kissing his chest softly before looking up at him.

"You're welcome. I liked putting it up with you anyways. I think that should be our new tradition."

"You just want to have an excuse to be that close to me." You tease.

"That may or may not be true." He chuckles, his eyes crinkling at the corners as he kisses your forehead.

"Can we cuddle and watch a Christmas movie while we enjoy my hard work?" You ask, your eyes flickering to the now completely decorated Christmas tree.

"Of course. I made hot chocolate for us too, with extra candy cane and marshmallows in yours."

"You know me so well." You smile, pecking his lips quickly.

"Well I'd hope so, if I plan to marry you." He chuckles, tugging your hand gently as he leads you to the couch.

He pulls you into his lap, handing you your warm mug. You take a sip, enjoying the warm liquid traveling down your throat and warming your entire body, the peppermint flavor lingering in your mouth. You press your lips against his passionately, enjoying the lingering taste of his own drink. You pull back, smiling as he presses his forehead against yours.

"I love you, baby girl."

"I love you too, Lu."

"You just love me for my height." He teases.

"Who else is going to help me put up the star?" You giggle.

"Y/N!" Luke mocks in an appalled voice.

"I'm just kidding. It's because you make the best hot chocolate." You smirk, biting your lip.

He throws his head back a bit, laughing. "I knew it. I knew you were only with me for my hot chocolate skills."

You shrug, kissing his cheek. "I still love you though."

"You just want more kisses now."

"Kisses and cuddles in front of the Christmas tree while watching Christmas Vacation, please."

Luke rolls his eyes. "You're so easy to please."

"I take joy in the simple things."

Luke covers your mouth with his hand. "Alright, zip it beautiful. It's movie and cuddle time!"

You smile, curling into Luke's chest as he begins the movie, enjoying the ambiance of the dim room lit by the Christmas tree, snow lightly falling outside, and hot chocolate nestled in your hands as you lay on the chest of the love of your life.