ЄD0Ɲ: Ŧhe CiŦy ~ Chapter Forty-nine

49 – a proper Charlie

Cylvah descended towards the landing zone and noticed Jango kneeling on the grass beside a tall oak. He seemed to be undressing. She landed on a branch above him, curious. His black jacket lay discarded in a crumpled heap on the ground, five changeling tokens visible on its folds. He had removed his modesty vest, exposing his bare chest, and busily searched through its small pockets for something. After pausing a moment to eye Jango's lean torso and the muscle definition on his wingless back she spoke.

"What are you doing, Jango?"

He spun round, alarm on his face.

"I'm up here."

He lifted his head. His look was guilty, then angry.

"Don't sneak up on me like that, Cylvah," he snarled, "I was... er, checking how many C-tokens I had left... they dissolve if you drop them on the grass you know."

"Oh, no I didn't know that. But I've still got seven; you can have some if you want."

"That's typical of you. You'll have to use them sometime! You can't stay an eagle forever. The Edons are beginning to wake up, look!"

She knew he was right when she turned her head; chariots now rode up and down the long road outside the landing zone. Soon Edons would be walking through the fields to go about their business. A large eagle talking to a half-naked boy on his knees would certainly attract attention.

"Did you get it?"

"Yes," she replied returning her attention to Jango. She had been excited at the prospect of telling everyone about how she'd retrieved the Gift piece. It was quick and evasive and she'd wondered how Sofiel had caught one without Cherub speed. She remembered Sofiel's cloud feed: her Far Sight had tracked it and the golden rod had stopped at the grave in the middle of the desert.

Cylvah had turned off her own cloud feed when she chased the Gift piece across the landscape. When its zigzagging journey drew closer to the place with the flashing wires she'd become worried. She did not want another confrontation with the angry black birds. She'd raced at top Cherub speed to harry the object in mid air, hoping to change its path. Luckily, it entangled itself in a crook of branches when she chased it into a tree, and she'd grabbed it with a talon.

"Well?"

She flew down to land beside him, lifting a claw to proffer the golden rod.

"Don't let it go, it's still pretty lively," she said dropping the rod into Jango's open palm, which quickly became a fist.

She wondered if she should have really given it to Borak. Jango gripped it tightly between his fingers turning it so it sparkled in the sunlight.

"How can a place like this produce something so perfect, so beautiful?"

"Why shouldn't it? Edon is magical. Its people and its creatures are amazing. They have a short live span but they've achieved so much against impossible odds. I don't think it's an accident a planet teeming with life in such a dead bit of universe fascinates the Bright One, or Stygien for that matter. I wouldn't be surprised if the Gift has something to do with them!"

"What? They were just lucky to be in the right place and time. In a few thousand years they'll all be dead and some other species will move in and use their bones for fuel." Jango held the Gift piece up to the light. "This little treasure must have been created when Ecad died."

"Really? Then how come nobody died when the Seraphim found the first part?"

"Have you forgotten Sheldor? The rod went to his grave!"

"Yes, but—"

"There are no buts, Cylvah. I've had enough of your little theories. We're here to get the Gift and go, with as little interaction with Edon's inhabitants as possible. You're supposed to be part of this cadre and fulfil our mission."

"I've done my part. I just think we need to understand this species to make a better job of it."

"Really? You got this," Jango said, raising the rod, "but, where were you when the Imp's sword was above my head? You were supposed to be covering my back!"

"I was dealing with the Night Mare, I'm sorry, Jango."

"Sorry doesn't cut it when my head's missing."

She knew he was right. A cadre member's safety was always a priority, even though it was difficult to maintain during a battle situation... Cylvah noticed something at the corner of Jango's eye catch the light and she realised it was a tear... She looked down, hoping he hadn't noticed.

"We've got new intel," Jango said. "Sofiel has worked out the Gift Shrine is at a place called the Tenth House. I want you to carry out a recon mission for me. My Lǽran reckons there's a building where Edon leaders gather to govern the powerless. It's called the House of Ten. I don't believe in coincidences – this must be the same place. I want you to check it out and report back. If you see a gift piece, grab it and we can leave this ball of scitan. I order you to use a C-token on this mission. Try out a Quintessence that isn't an eagle at least.

"I'd go myself but Borak wants me and Fereshte to join him on a mission when he's finished meditating. Sofiel is deciphering the rest of the code. That leaves you as the only cadre member without a task. Do you think you can do that?"

Cylvah nodded.

"And get it right this time. My Lǽran'll send the co-ordinates." Jango turned his back on her and said nothing more.

She sprung into the air, determined to find out everything about the House of Ten.

Don't be afraid to click the star in the top right corner. Go on, I dare you. :)