ЄD0Ɲ: Ŧhe CiŦy ~ Chapter Seventeen

ЄD0Ɲ 

Cherubim landing zone ~ Ŧhe CiŦy

 17– the mission sentence

The meeting place was a patch of lush green grass with wooden pews, surrounded by black metal railings, dominated by a huge broad-leafed tree in its corner; a forty-strong pigeon flock lay on their bellies in the sunlight.

Jango had found it easily enough with his narrator's guidance –  he'd tired of the Lǽran's whistling reprimands and had began to listen to it for a change – but the creature had started to annoy him. During the journey he'd sent Scintillas to read the Edons' thoughts and conversations when he passed them, but understood little of it. Worse still, neither did his narrator. "This language was not mentioned in the chronica globe's information, Cherub Jango – it is a hybrid of many different tongues spoken in the region." Jango also noticed some people, especially young females, staring at his garments and giggling. He suspected they were wrong too.

"How am I supposed to talk to these aliens if our intel is wrong?" he wondered.

"Just try to think like an Edon, Cherub Jango," his narrator had said. "If you don't, your cover may be blown and the mission compromised."

Jango's pride wouldn't allow that to happen, and so, with a great effort, he focused his mind.

He passed through an open gate before sitting on a wooden pew with the best view of the patch and waited, concentrating on the words he had to say to the contact and the reply he or she would give, which would prove they were the fifth member of Borak's cadre.

He reached down to retrieve the marker Cherub Ecad had left, nestling in the grass underneath the pew – a small bronze-coloured scarab beetle whose legs did not move. He turned it over and flicked a switch on its belly. The marker now no longer transmitted and Jango enjoyed crushing it under the heel of his shiny shoe. Ecad was one cautious Cherub, thought Jango. He would be feeding the pigeons there, but did not say when nor what his disguise would be. Jango had waited for some time until he noticed an old female pause at the fence to look around. She then produced a bag, from which she began sprinkling breadcrumbs onto the grass.

Jango was puzzled at her caution. Pigeons were revered on Kaelestia. "They are hated here, Cherub Jango. She may be punished for feeding them in this territory," his narrator said.

Jango shook his head. That is cruel. Everyone knows pigeons are a blessing..."Hey, do you think this Edon is Cherub Ecad?"

"It's quite possible. Perhaps you should approach her and deliver the mission sentence."

That was a mistake. The female was surprised when Jango appeared, and when he said: "All right, me old China! I've a cock here that says you don't know where all good dustbin lids go to!" the woman had stared at him, as he stood smiling, pleased with his delivery.

She had then shouted at him, waving the stick she used for support, insisting he had insulted her. When she began to strike him and scream for help, Jango had sprinted away like a thief, leaving a Scintilla behind to check until she'd gone.

Jango wasn't happy with his narrator, ignoring its apologies. "I offended the female thanks to your advice, why should I listen to anything you say? And why is there an ache in my stomach, is that another Edon defect?"

"Your Edon body desires nourishment, Cherub Jango – you need to eat something and must enter a place that offers sustenance. There is one near the rendezvous."