●•· ŠEÐÆĦ ·•● Chapter ten

ŠEÐÆĦ

10 – Oops (427)

“Your Mighty, our spy reports the Throne’s last communication revealed he’d left the halo, before it ended… abruptly,” Gorbon said.

Something almost resembling a smile played on Lord Stygien’s lips.  “Then we have succeeded?”

 “Perhaps.”

 “Go on, Gorbon,” Stygien said, his tone guarded.

 “Well… the mission commander sent two ships against the Throne and his cadre…”

 Gorbon deliberated, hoping to gauge his master’s reaction, his claws clicking nervously under his scarlet robe of office. When Gorbon saw no change in Stygien’s features, he continued.

 “…but we cannot contact our ships and… their life forms seem to have vanished from the Scion map.”

Gorbon immediately fell to the floor as a fiery bolt flew over his head and smashed into a thick wall behind him. His keen eyesight had noticed Stygien’s slight hand movement, and he now retreated into his carapace until his master’s rage had subsided. He knew the strongest of the Lord’s power bolts could pierce his protective armour – he’d still be dead if the Lord hadn’t remembered his usefulness – but this was a missile of lesser fury. Gorbon heard his master’s voice.

 “Come out of your shell, Gorbon.”

 The minion’s scaly limbs reappeared and he rose, unruffled his robes, and continued as if nothing had happened. “We were told this Throne was a novice and his cadre inexperienced children, so the mission commander felt that two ships would be enough.”

 “It clearly was not. The fool who made that call will be punished with ten burdens,” Stygien growled.

 “Yes mighty, of course. I will inform Commander Zub of his error and his punishment. But it is possible he was not to blame for the loss of our warriors. We now understand the Throne could be more experienced than we first thought and that the cadre contains Seraphim…”

 “This is not what I want to hear, Gorbon.”

 “Bear with me, your Mighty… it’s possible that neither our ships nor the Throne survived. In its last communication, one of our ship’s crew managed a garbled message. We could only make out one word clearly.”

“What was the word?”

“Zelli.”

“Hmm. That word is enough.”

“Even a superior Throne is unlikely to escape the Zelli, but I will order our spy to send word ahead, just to make sure,” Gorbon concluded with a bow.

“Very well. If they have evaded the Zelli, you will initiate my auxiliary plan.”

Before Gorbon turned to leave, Lord Stygien said: “And Gorbon, I’ve changed my mind about the fool who sent two ships.”

“Your Mighty?”

“Give him twenty burdens.”

“Yes, your Mighty.”

Hey, if you liked this chapter you could press that little star graphic in the top right corner. If not, just carry on reading and vote for one you think is better. FP.  :~)