On кคєlєรtเค: Chapter nine

۝  Kaelestia  ۝

9 – the Missum mast (1621)

The Bonoppi Monkey sat on his haunches beneath the Missum mast, but when his nostrils flared at the scent of the two approaching beings, he stood to his full height of five cubits and, with a burly hand, reached for the pike stuck in the ground. Now he could hear their wing flaps and his keen eyesight made out their forms: two Hashmallim at the bottom of the hill climbing up towards him, using their sceptres for support.

"Who approaches?" he called with a deep growl.

When they had reached the top, Dominion F'cnta raised a hand and, slightly out of breath and leaning on his sceptre, looked up at the beast.

"Worry not, guardian. I am Dominion F'cnta and this is Dominion Cator. We are here on official business."

"What business?" the monkey said.

"I have here an E10022 order which gives me permission to inspect any messages delivered this day from the Throne, Ophan Borak," F'cnta said brandishing a scroll with silver borders.

The monkey took the scroll with his free hand, the other still gripping his pike, and began reading the E10022 order, mouthing the words silently.

"Thrones not mention this to Victor," the monkey said, not taking his eyes from the scroll.

"The Thrones have been informed, I assure you, Victor."

"Thrones won't like anyone reading their messages. Victor's job to keep messages safe. By any means necessary, Thrones said," the monkey stressed, his eyes now bearing down on F'cnta with a brutal stare.

"You are doing an excellent job protecting the Missum Mast, Victor," F'cnta said calmly, looking upwards. "And what a fine one it is. Cator is new to our order, Victor, he does not know the red jewel glowing at the top can send and receive messages across several galaxies."

"Really?" said Cator, playing along.

"'Course," the monkey replied with pride, now looking up at the Missum crystal with the others, not noticing Cator point his sceptre at the box at the foot of the mast.

"The record distance is nine," the monkey said.

"Nine galaxies, that's impressive," Cator mused.

The monkey gave a low chuckle.

"Not nine galaxies, nine hundred galaxies," the monkey said, still eying the Missum crystal, "Victor was here for that one," he added with feeling. "But Thrones didn't tell Victor about Dominions looking at messages," the monkey said, returning his gaze to them. "So Victor can't let you, until Thrones say it's all right. Sorry."

F'cnta and Cator shared a glance before F'cnta said:

"Very well, Victor, we will arrange for a Throne to confirm the E10022 order and will return tomorrow morning. Thank you and we will tell the Thrones how well you carry out your duties. Good day, Victor," and the pair raised their wings and flew upward.

When their scent had faded, the monkey stuck his pike into the ground and sat down again.

***

After ensuring they were a great distance from the Bonoppi monkey, F'cnta spoke.

"Did you get it?"

"Yes," Cator replied.

"Good. Let's land near those whitestone blocks ahead. They make perfect displays." 

F'cnta was already striding towards a large white slab at the bottom of an escarpment before his wings had ceased their flapping.

"Quickly, project the message."