On кคєlєรtเค: Chapter seven

۝  Kaelestia  ~ the Powers' HQ ۝

7 - the Power wants answers (1663)

 Cator stood to attention beside F'cnta in a large office based in the Powers' headquarters, a mountain stronghold overlooking the Kaelestial Palace. Vice-Chief Power Potes sat behind his purple desk, reading F'cnta's mission report – his black eyes scrutinising every word with military diligence.

Cator gazed around the room, noting several trophies on a far wall: the large skull of a creature, cleaved in half, probably by one of Potes' fearsome weapons, a broken sword, a small golden crossbow and several framed scrolls, the largest gleaming gold and prominently placed. The rest of the room overflowed with books. Cator knew the Powers were Kaelestia's warriors, charged with its protection, but they were also a learned order, experts in the study of history, herstory, philosophy, alien religions and ideology.

Cator glanced at F'cnta, whose only focus was on Power Potes' craggy face, watching for any reaction it may give to his report. Cator couldn't help a tiny smile.

It vanished when Potes finished reading and aimed a granite gaze at them.

"So tell me about this... Borak, F'cnta," Potes said.

After a nervous breath, F'cnta replied. "I noticed he wore no ribbons when he visited me, sir – evidence this mission is his first as a Throne. My visits to the Seraph and Cherub High Command revealed only one of his chosen ones, a Cherub called Jango, has completed a mission. The two Seraphs, Fereshte and Sofiel, and the other Cherub, Cylvah, are uninitiated in their current orders."

"So, they're all novices?"

"Yes, sir. The Seraphs were seconded from the Kaelestial Palace Choir. I was told Sofiel is one of the Bright One's favourites, with an exceptional voice and skill with musical forms and poetry, but she has led a sheltered life inside the Palace. Fereshte and Cylvah are more knowledgeable, but they are all extremely young for a mission, in my opinion. I'm also surprised Ophan Borak's cadre only contained four members. This is highly irregular and not mentioned in your orders."

Potes said, "Perhaps he was using his initiative..." and, waiting for the barb to bite, added, "...and you've pointed out, Thrones select their cadre without interference. Ophan Borak must have his reasons... it's a simple mission to a harmless planet – it doesn't need an army. A small inexperienced cadre is quite adequate. A novice will always have the support of his fellow Thrones and Dominions like you to advise him."

"But–"

Potes waved a dismissive hand. "What do you think, Dominion Cator?"

"Well, although Dominion F'cnta's report is accurate, I'm not convinced Borak is inexperienced. I was forbidden to visit the Cherub and Seraph High Command – my colleague insisted I simply record his progress, but–"

 "Is this true, F'cnta?"

"Err, yes, sir. I mean Dominion Cator is new to our order and not yet experienced in its workings. One must prove one's worth before one can carry out important tasks."

"Oh, really?" Potes growled, his wing feathers bristling. "I remind you, Dominion, you are BOTH operating on MY orders. I do not care about your petty bureaucratic hierarchies, I want RESULTS!"

"Yes, sir," F'cnta replied, bowing his head. Cator noticed a bead of sweat descend F'cnta's temple.

"The Bright One has sensed another ripple since we last spoke. We must determine its cause. The Gift is a rare and secret element and Edon is one of the few places it exists in this universe. It's your job to ensure Borak's cadre retrieves it with the minimum of fuss."