On кคєlєรtเค Chapter One

A/N

 Kaelestian(s) is pronounced Ka-lest-ee-an(s).

Edon is pronounced Ed-on.

Seraphim thoughts in {curly brackets}

۝  кคєlєรtเค  ~ Dominions' Great Hall ۝

1 – the mission briefing (887 wds)

At the end of the Dominions' Great Hall were seven desks, each ornately carved from stone of a different colour. A handsome figure sat writing at each one and the air crackled with the sound of quills scratching across parchment. Using seven of his eyes the Throne scanned each face simultaneously.

At the grey desk, three from the right, Dominion Ferkoonta leaned over a scroll. Tiny wings buzzed the Throne forward, the hall's torchlight flinging his v-shaped shadow across the floor. He had no mouth but words vibrated from his ribbed frame. "Greetings, Dominion Ferkoonta. I am reporting for duty, sir."

Absorbed in an important sentence, Ferkoonta did not look up from his writing. The Throne waited, admiring the Dominion's white feathery wings, the divine face and its perfect complexion, the flowing blond hair, adorned with eight mission ribbons denoting his experience, the golden sword at his waist and, finally, the silver sceptre on the desk illuminating his work with a bright shaft of light. After making his last mark – the third dot of an ellipsis – Ferkoonta looked up with an angelic smile.

"Ah, Ophan Borak! I'm sorry for the wait. It's good to see you. How are the Thrones?"

"They are well, sir. I pass on their greetings."

"Splendid! Do thank them for me." Ferkoonta opened a grey box and removed a parchment bearing a purple seal. "Now, here are the details of your mission. These orders come directly from Vice-chief Power Potes," and Ferkoonta began scanning the document.

"It must be an important one then, sir," said Borak. Potes was a high-ranking military Kaelestian. Would this be a combat mission?

Ferkoonta's eyes left the page, travelling up the five horizontal wheels of Borak's hovering open-topped body; no ribbons hung from his flickering little wings, and a hundred eyes cast downward with a humble gaze. His skin flushed with self-consciousness.

"If Power Potes wishes it then it is important, Borak," Ferkoonta said, smiling. "A slight ripple is affecting the balance of Kaelestia's energies. He wants it investigated at once, lest it become worse."

"Very well, sir, but we Thrones have detected no unusual effects of late; our planet's core burns brightly and the dark matter halo has little effect on the planet's equilibrium."

"That is reassuring, Borak, but it isn't the halo. Power Potes says it's a tiny flutter of disturbance, yet, the Bright One has noticed it..."

If the Bright One had detected something the Thrones have not, only a great power could cause it... and not a benign one. "Could Lord Stygien be interfering again?"

"Could Lord Stygien be interfering again?"

A tiny flicker of alarm flashed in Ferkoonta's azure eyes. "I hope not, Borak. This mission is a simple retrieval task – a cadre must bring back a rare element called the Gift. It will determine the ripple's cause."

Borak realised this was the mission he'd been told to look for. "Simple missions are rare, Borak," the Bright One had once told him. "When one is offered you must accept it. It will be anything but simple and may take longer than most."

"Where do we find this Gift, sir?"

"On a world far beyond the edges of our celestial sphere, a beautiful place full of colour, called Edon."

"I think we have visited there before, don't their people believe in gods?"

"It is true. Some may recognise a Kaelestian."

"Then my cadre would need disguises to look like them, or perhaps a couple of Seraphym who can become invisible."

"Changeling tokens are provided," F'cnta said, gesturing to the box. He reached inside and lifted out a glass ball. "And this chronica globe contains all we know of Edon so far. You are to assimilate it and pass on its secrets to your chosen ones."

F'cnta stood up, walked around the desk, and, leaning into Borak's hollow body, placed the sphere onto his lowest wheel. Borak shuddered slightly at the motion; his many eyes bulged, a yellow light glowing from his form.

"There is much to learn from such a young planet, sir," Borak said, feeling the chronica globe's information seep into his being.

"The record is meticulous, Borak. The Bright One is fond of this world. It has many species, dangers and temptations – you need to know them all. Instruct your cadre to select Edon forms before you arrive. Their tokens will help them take on a variety of shape and size afterward – and they must not waste them. They shall not need tokens to return to their Kaelestian forms, only to morph into an Edon being."

 "Yes, sir."

"When you're ready you may go forth, Borak. Choose your cadre well. I will administer this mission. It should not take long, perhaps you will return by morning. You may report back in the usual way."

"But you have not told me about the Gift, sir..."

After consulting the parchment, Ferkoonta replied, "It says here the chronica globe will begin turning shortly. A white dove will appear on its seventh revolution and reveal information about the Gift. Good luck, Borak." Ferkoonta then returned the parchment to the box, which he placed onto one of Borak's upper rings.

Borak floated out of the Dominions' Great Hall, determined to select a cadre who were young and strong.

There is an appendix explaining the Kaelestian orders in the Table of Contents if you want to click it at any time. :~)

Hey, if you liked this chapter you could press that little star graphic in the top right corner. If not, just carry on reading and vote for one you think is better. FP. :~)