Chapter 7

I lay on my bed, thinking about everything. When I got home, Selena made me watch Tiara for her. And then my father came home from work, but he never asked me about how my first day of school was. And all these things going on in my head was making me miss my mother even more.

I took my phone and decided to call my grandmother. Maybe she could help me feel better.

Not maybe. She was. Definitely. She always cheered me uo, even more than my best friends.

I glanced at the time. It was eight o'clock. Nanna usually fell asleep at nine. I could catch her before she was in bed. So, I quickly dialed her number and pressed call.

"Hello."

"Hi Nanna, its Monica."I said.

"Hey honey, how was your day?" She asked in her warm sweet voice.

"It was okay, school was great. I saw my friends again. Oh! There's this boy!"

My grandma laughed. "A boy, Monica? He must be very handsome to had made my granddaughter this excited."

"He is handsome, Nanna. I don't know him well but I like the way he looks." I lay back on my bed as I heard Nanna giggling like a little teenage girl at my news.

Suddenly her voice got serious, " Monica, always remember, there is more in a person than looks. At least the looks on the outside. If the inside is beautiful, then you can swoon all you want, baby girl. Like your grandpa. He was a plain one. It was until I saw his beautiful inside that I fell in love."

I could imagine my grandmother smiling as she told me about my late grandfather. My grandpa died when I was 13. He was a wonderful man. He loved football and fishing. And he loved to joke around. He was the goofball of my small family.

The good ol' days.

My eyes got watery as I realized I didn't have that family anymore. Mom and grandpa were gone. Nanna was alone. My dad had his own little family, one that I didn't feel part of.

I didn't feel like talking anymore.
"Thanks Nanna. I have to go to sleep now, but thanks for the little conversation." I said.

"Pleasure, honey. Bye, have a great night. I love you."

"I love you too, Nanna." I took the phone from my ear and put it away. I closed my eyes and went to sleep.

******

The next day, I decided to sign up for the glee club. It was almost third period and I was in the hallway. I took out a pen and took a deep breath. Then, I signed my name.

"You sing?" A male voice said from behind me. I quickly turned around. It was Alex.

"Hi." He said. I waved at him, speechless. He wore a tight black T-shirt that showed his lean muscles. His pants were just dark as his shirt, and the whole dark outfit just complimented his caramel skin. I suddenly felt underdressed in my plain blue jeans and sweatshirt.

I looked away when I realized I was staring. He smiled at me as I blushed.
"So you sing?" He asked again.

"Oh yeah, I do. I love to sing." I said in a rush. I remembered Alex was in my 2nd period but I hadn't seen him in the class we shared.

"Where were you in second period?"I asked him. He looks confused for a moment then his mouth forms a little O.

"I was kind of late. I just came," He said, "missed me?" I was taken aback by his sudden cockiness.

"Umm." I muttered, feeling my cheeks burn.
Before I could answer, the bell rang.

Nothing like saved by the bell.

Alex laughed. "I take that as a no." Okay, nevermind.

Before I could stop him and tell him that that wasn't true, he had already waved and walked away from me. I sighed and hurried to my 3rd period.

At lunch, I sat down waiting for Lexi and Asia to arrive.  Finally, Asia finally came. She grabbed her lunch and sat in front of me, crossing her long golden colored legs. Boys passed by our table, staring at her. Some whistled. But she ignored them and focused on me.

I took a bite of my apple and stared at her.

"I saw that little conversation you had with Alex." She says, expressionless.

I opened my mouth to say that it wasn't what it looked like. But, Asia held up her hand to stop me.

Suddenly, her face lit up with a smile.
"I'm happy about it! My best friend is friends with my crush. I can get closer to him by you." She pointed at me, to clear up her point.

I gasped. I was shock. This seemed too low for someone like Asia. I was pretty sure she could capture Alex's attention alone. I mean this girl was good enough to be in the Victoria's Secret Fashion show.

"I knew you would be the best friend to help me captured his heart. You know why? Cause you wouldn't fall for him." She said in matter-of-fact.

What made her think that I wouldn't fall for him? Really, what made her so sure about that?

As if she would read my mind, she answered my question. "I know ever since the Trevor thing, you wouldn't bother yourself with boys. I mean as cute as Alex is, someone as smart as you wouldn't let herself get hurt again."

Ouch!

I felt stupid. Asia was right. I couldn't let myself fall for Alex. Even though Trevor was nothing compared to Alex's looks, he affected me only a little less than how Alex affected me. I wasn't going to fall for anybody. I wouldn't allow myself to be cheated on again and get hurt. And anybody who knew me, knows that I don't take getting hurt easily.

"So, will you be matchmaker, Monica?" Asia asked. I shrugged.

"Sure."

I was making the right decision. If I was focused on getting Alex and Asia together, Alex would affect me less. It was only common sense. I let out a little grin.

Lexi arrived and we told her our plans. Asia and Lexi were both excited. But I wasn't. I was too worried on how I would keep my teenage hormones from reacting around Alex.

You can do it, Monica. Do it for the sake of friendship....and for not getting hurt.

Writing this book is amazing. I really hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy it. Thank you for reading and please continue to read on.

Also, I'm writing another story. It has more chapters than this one. So you guys can check it out. Its called My Darkest Sides.

:)

Do not check that story out. I was young and stupid.😂😂

Check Obsessed and Cree Joseph(The C.J Novels #1 )😉😉