CH 4

"Are you ok?" Harry asked as I gave the piglet to Geoff. "Physically I'm fine; emotionally I'm bruised" I said shortly. "Don't be upset Louis, Eleanor is one of the best swordsman I've ever encountered; in fact her family has a very strong tradition in swordsmanship" Geoff said. I looked at him "How do you possibly know that? This is the first time she's ever come to the village" Liam asked.  Geoff waved his hand dismissively "Just rumors, anyway it's nearly time for lunch; do you boys want to join me for some food at Christopher's house?"

  I opened my mouth to answer but trumpets interrupted me, everyone turned to the village gates and behind me I heard a villager mumble "Of course they would come collect taxes during the faire". Everyone dispersed to their houses to get money and Geoff sighed "Well it seems we won't be keeping our prizes". 

They weren't tax collectors though, we all stared as three dozen armored horsemen streamed passed the gate; all of them holding their lances at the exact same angle; one of them held a flag of the royal crest, the blue wolf. They rode through the village, corralling the villagers toward the center of town as if they were sheep despite the villager's protests. 

"What's going on?" I whispered to Geoff "I don't know Louis, let's just remain calm" he replied. The crowd jostled us and we were slowly pushed to the middle of the crowd to make room for more people, the square wasn't large enough to hold all two hundred of us all at once so it was a tight fit.

  One of the armor horsemen lifted his visor and looked at us as if we were filthy dogs in his house. "Quaint little village here" he said with a heavy Norwegian accent, disdain dripping from his voice like poison from a dagger. 

   "I am here on the King's business" he went on "Apparently you're harboring a traitor; give him to me and I promise I won't burn this village to the ground and salt the earth so nothing will grow here for centuries" as he said that, his armored horseman lowered their lances to the crowd, to us. In a slow voice, as if speaking to children he asked "Where is the Tomlinson boy?"

"There is no one here by that name" the mayor said, telling the truth; no one in the village was named, or had the surname, Tomlinson. The speaker snorted "If you do not give him up, then all of you shall meet the Gods today; so I tell you one last time, give me the Tomlinson boy, or die".

"There is no one here by that name" the mayor repeated. The speaker turned to his warriors "Burn this village to the ground" he said with the same boredom that one would use to point out that there was wind this day

Chaos immediately broke out; villagers scattered around and fled to their homes, those unlucky enough to be closer to the horsemen had their lives ended by the end of a lance. I was pulled away by Geoff, who lead into an alley close to the square. "Louis, Liam you must flee the village; escape to Doncaster" he said.

We turned as the warrior girl, Eleanor, came down the alley with a bloodied blade "She will take care of you, protect you" Geoff explained "Stay close to her". "Dad what's going on?" Liam asked. Geoff looked over his shoulder to the screams of pain and the clashing of steel against steel; it seems the villagers were starting to fight back, but with what? Farmer tools? "We have been keeping a secret from you Louis, but there no time to explain; go with Eleanor and all shall be explained later" Geoff said urgently.

Desmond, Harry's father, came down the alley; holding the sword Harry found. "Dad!" Harry said, running into his father's arms. "Harry you must go with them, our family, just like the Payne's, have a duty to Louis; an ancient oath that cannot be broken."

"Dad I don't understand; what about you and Mom?" Harry said, tears filling his eyes. "All will be explained later my son, I promise. Just know that your mother and I love you, we are so proud of the man you have become Harry" Desmond said as he hug his son "Don't cry Harry, this is how things must be".