CH 23

We stayed in Gibraltar for a week, and it's been insanely busy for all of us. Eleanor was rarely seen as she was trying to reestablish communications with Doncaster as well start building connections within the city to gather information. The new "friends" Eleanor was making weren't Shadows, just people who were bought and would pass along any interesting rumors they heard.

Since Gibraltar was a port city with bustling trade, her "friends" heard a lot of rumors and Harry was back at his old job of analysing information after only the second day we were in Gibraltar. He spent most of his time in the office Edward lent him, muttering to himself as he shifted through papers.

Liam and Culpepper have been writing letters frantically the entire time we've been here and Liam joked that the the two of them made the skies of Gibraltar black from the numerous messenger birds they were sending out every hour; it wasn't only birds though, most ships that left port also had a letter for some far off lord or important figure.

I on the other hand, spent most of my days with Edward learning vast amounts of knowledge from him. Culpepper had a lot of theoretical knowledge, he how why things worked but not how they worked; Culpepper could offer ideas on how to improve trade within a city but Edward could tell you exactly what needed to be done and how to change it. Edward didn't just know about trade though, he also was a skilled negotiator, he was very shrewd and clever since before he was Governor-General he was actually a merchant.

"Are you happy here, Edward?" I asked as we sat in his garden and sipped on very fruity and sweet wine. "I am...but I would take an opportunity if one was presented" he said slowly, carefully. "Would you consider joining me tomorrow on my visit to Madrid? And depending on how that turns out...become part of my council when we return back to Britannia?" Edward practically fell from his seat and landed on both of his knees in a deep bow "I'd be honored my Prince, I'll inform the city council that a new election of a Governor-General will have to take place soon".

"Mister Edward I have not decided anything yet" I said quickly before he got his hopes up. "I know Sire, but if I cannot prove to you that I am worthy than I shall fall upon my sword because I could not live with the disappointment and shame". I blinked at him, taken aback, before I could even respond though he got up and walked quickly back into his palace.

-

The next morning, as Harry and I were having a hot and heavy snogging session, we were interrupted by Culpepper knocking and entering the room. "Highness, do you mean to replace me?" Culpepper asked. "Of what do you speak?" I asked, my mind still mainly between my legs instead of atop my shoulders; Harry tried to pull away from our tangled embraced but I held him tightly, wanting Culpepper to realized that he was interrupting me.

"Edward just informed me that you have recruited him and that he leaves to Madrid with us" Culpepper said completely neutral but with tightness around his eyes. I sighed "I've decided to take on Edward as an economic advisor; he is a merchant, not a secretary" I said flatly. A look of pure relief flooded Culpepper's face "Thank you Highness, thank you; your mercy and grace knows no bounds". I nodded "Now if you excuse me, I was interrupted" I said before I turned back and placed my lips upon Harry's, not even waiting for Culpepper to leave.

"Sire, if I may...do you know Edward's stance about...umm...relationships between men?" Culpepper asked "If he disapproves of you and Mister Harry then he might attempt to sabotage rather than help". I turned back to Culpepper "Then it's fortunate that I have a secretary to help me with such matters" I said. Culpepper smiled "Your wish is my command". "And it is my sincerest wish that you leave my room and leave us in peace" I said, causing Harry to chuckle into my neck, trying to hide his laughter.

"There is one other matter" Culpepper said. "What?!" I snapped. "I was going over some records last night and...your mother is distantly related to King Antonio; fourth cousins to be exact". "And why do I care?" I asked, quickly losing my patience. "Because that means that he and his family have a claim on Britannia and while it's very unlikely that he will press that claim, you must be wary of any assistance he offers you, please consult with me first before agreeing to anything".

-

Madrid was spectacular, even more grand than Doncaster; with about double the population. Roman and Spanish,Iberian, architecture blended together and gave the city a regal feel; monuments and statues stood tall and proud as the various towers and spires that soared above the city kept careful watch of those below. The city was so noisy it made Doncaster seem peaceful; the air buzzed filled with music, the drone of conversation and various animals as they were being bought and sold or pulling a wagon along.

The Cathedral in Madrid alone made the castle at Doncaster looked like a house made of mud and the actual castle in Madrid made Doncaster's looked like it was built by a child. When we got inside the castle and into the throne room, guided by a servant, the room itself was the largest I have ever seen and it absolutely packed with people.

At the front of room, sitting on a throne carved into the shape of a bull, an older man sat with a band of gold studded with pearls upon his head. The man was very old, in his late fifties or even sixties and since most people didn't live to see their forty fifth birthday, he was nearly ancient. The bull-throne he sat on was carved so that the animal's head and tail were arm rests and the king sat upon its legs, using its flank as a backrest. Slightly behind the bull-throne, five younger men sat behind in normal, but grand chairs. The oldest of the men that sat behind him seemed to be in his late twenties and the youngest seemed to be my age; that sat behind the king in age order it seemed like.

"Prince Louis, my dear nephew, I am King Antonio. Welcome to Iberia!" King Antonio said in a loud booming voice and a warm smile.