CH 6

Culpepper's POV

We all bowed as the Prince and his friends left, as the door closed behind them I sat back back and placed my chin my hand. "The fact that he's a homosexual will cause some difficulties" I said to my two comrades "Our plans must change".

"Why? Nothing changes, several Kings and Queens have also been this way" Asher pointed out. "He'll be shunned by the Church and the Pope, and in this age that's a dangerous thing to do". I pointed out, Sir Arthur snorted "What do you care? He's in Rome".

"The Pope casts a large shadow over the entire continent of Europa, especially this current one. Pope Justinius has increased Papal authority since he was elected three years ago. He has involved the Holy See in politics very recently; it seems he is not content to be God's voice on Earth, he must also be His hand".

Asher nodded and Arthur furrowed his eyebrows, but neither said anything; I expected as much from those two because they were never involved in politics like I was. Asher was great at collecting information but couldn't analyze it and the only pieces of information that Arthur cared about were troop reports, he could make three hundred men fight like three thousand but didn't even know the proper utensils to use at a dinner.

"What should we do then?" Asher asked. "Until the Prince is accepted by the other Kings, Queens and even the Pope we have to hide the fact that he likes men and we have to hide his Consort" I tapped my chin with my finger "Both Liam and Harry are from Shadow families, they must start their training immediately".

Asher nodded and called out for one of his Shadows, Eleanor, "Eleanor, tomorrow you will recruit Harry and Liam and start their Shadow training immediately". She looked at him "But...that would mean separating Louis and Harry for a very long period of time". I nodded and she crossed her arms "I would recommend against that, what Louis and Harry have-"

"I don't recall asking you for advice" I cut her off "the well being of the Prince is our highest priority and we must do this for his own good".

Louis's POV

As we walked back to our rooms I turned to look at Liam who said "I think I'm going to go for a walk guys; I need to clear my head". I nodded and Liam turned around and walked back down the hall, presumably to the gardens.

"I guess this is goodnight" I said to Harry as we stood outside his door. "Yeah, goodnight" Harry said before giving me his dimpled smile; Harry surprised me by kissing me on the cheek, or rather the corner of my mouth before saying "I can't wait to see you again tomorrow".

I went to my room where fresh clothes to sleep in were laid out for me; this was actually quite nice. Back home I would wear one outfit for three days before changing into another, and sleeping in my underwear; I've only been here for a day a half and I've had the option to change my clothes four times.

Even though I was still trying to wrap my head around being the Prince of Britannia; I could get used to living like this. I place my hands on the windowsill, watching Doncaster settle down for the night; I was the leader of all of these people, and whenever I actually thought about it, it nearly drove me mad. I could barely watch a flock of sheep, how could I be their Prince?

I shook my head "Just take the days one at a time Louis" I said as I changed into the sleeping clothes. I got into the bed and laid there, staring at my ceiling at the biblical scene there; I've been trying to figure out what the scene was since first I saw it there but I was too embarrassed to ask what it was. I looked over at my door quietly opened and Harry poked his head inside "I can't sleep" he said, I smiled "Harry you only went to bed like ten minutes ago".

I moved over slightly as Harry came into my bed, but instead of offering his back to me like he usually did, he faced me. "Louis I think we need to have a conversation we should have had a long time ago" he said. "What about Harry?" I asked. "What are we?" he asked, drawing little circles on my chest "You couldn't answer if I was your lover but...I think we're more than friends don't you?"

"Harry, my life is completely upside down right now, I have no idea what's going on" I admitted "to be honest I haven't really thought about...us". "Do you like me though? As more than a friend?" he asked I chuckled "Of course I do, you don't see Liam in my bed do you?"

Harry smiled widely, showing his dimples "I really like you too Louis". I kissed Harry on the cheek, or tried too; he turned his head slightly and our lips touched. I smiled against his lips and didn't try to pull away; it was a short kiss, closed mouth, but it felt like we were making a promise to each other.

-

I woke up and looked around in confusion before remembering where I was; the castle at Doncaster, not a castle, my castle. I sat up and rubbed my eyes before smiling down at Harry and moving a strand of his hair out of his face. Standing up and putting slippers on before walking out of my room, I started sleepily shambling down the hall to look for some food. The castle was nearly empty and I tiptoed passed a man who was asleep in a chair on my way for some breakfast.

At the ground level I saw Culpepper inside of an office writing something down with a quill; he look up and nearly fell out of his chair in shock. "Highness, what are you doing? Where are your attendants?" Where are you going?" "I didn't realize I was under house arrest, I was just feeling a little peckish...?" I said, taken aback by his reaction and the questions.

"Highness please return to your room, rest and relax, you've had such a long journey; I shall send someone with food momentarily and severely punish all of your attendants" Culpepper said. "There's really no need, I can grab it myself...and don't punish anyone" I said.

"But Highness, they only one job; to care for all your needs and they failed them" Culpepper argued, an idea popped into my head "As your Prince I'm ordering you not to punish anyone in anyway; is that clear?" I said in a stern voice. Culpepper blinked at me in surprise before bowing "Of course"; as I walked passed Culpepper's office carrying a tray of food for myself and Harry; I saw him lost in thought, frowning to himself

I made my way back to my room and ran into a guy walking with Liam and Harry, both of them didn't even look awake yet. "Highness" the guy said, nodding before trying to walk past me "Umm...where are you guys going?" I asked them. "They have been chosen for the great honor of becoming Shadows" the guy explained "I'm escorting them to begin their training".

Liam and Harry nodded,;Harry spoke up and said "They said that we would be helping you if we joined so we agreed". "I'll see you later then" I said smiling at Harry, who smiled back "I wouldn't miss it for the world". The guy that was walking with them looked at Harry but didn't say anything.