CH 42

"Shh" I said to all of my dad's fifteen hunting hounds as we entered the quiet, dark apartment. "Is this a good idea?" Theo whispered urgently as I pulled a rat from a sack I had; all of the dogs looked eagerly at the rat as it squirmed since I had it by the tail. "It's just a rat, what do you feel sorry for it?" I asked. "Well no not really, but what if we get in trouble?" Theo asked. "And what are they going to do to the Crown Prince of Britannia?" I asked as I tossed the rat further into the room.

The room exploded into chaos as the dogs chased after it. I shoved Theo out of the room and closed the door behind us as we heard crashing furniture, shattering decorations, the baying of hunting dogs and the shouts of Culpepper as he was awoken by the chaos suddenly happening in his apartment.

Theo and I darted into the secret network of passageways, running along the familiar corridors until we needed up in my room, breathing hard as we stepped out from behind the statue that guarded the entrance into the passageways. Safe inside my room I fell over as I started laughing, rolling on the floor while holding my sides as I relived the memory over and over. Theo laughed too, finally able to enjoy himself since we were safe now. A servant, bringing us breakfast, merely stared at us as he put down the tray of food for my breakfast and walked back out, not even saying anything. "I can only imagine the look on his face!" I said though my laughter.

A little while later, as we shared breakfast, both of us looked up at a knock at my door "Theo are you packed? Don't forget we depart tomorrow. Also Liam will be joining us." "Ok Uncle Niall" Theo said before sighing.

"You're having your birthday in Ireland?" I asked. Theo nodded "Father wants me to have it in Ireland, since I'm his son and all, but I really prefer Doncaster over Dublin...but I really don't have a choice." I stood up "Let's go talk to my father about yours."

-

"By Imperial decree I announce that the sixteenth birthday of Theo Horan, son of Gregory Horan, nephew to Niall Horan, shall be held in Doncaster and not in Dublin" I said loudly as I entered the throne room. Father looked at me from the throne, clearly amused. His courtiers all bowed to me as I entered the room but I ignored them all.

"Master Henry may I remind you that until you sit upon the throne you cannot make any-" Culpepper started saying but Father cut him off "Relax Culpepper he's almost seventeen, humor him a little. Henry you know that you can't just shout your new decrees...but if that is your will then who am I to say no? Besides I need a break from the God-forsaken war of conquest in Francia. A feast will do me some good."

I smiled at Father who smiled back but the moment was ruined as Culpepper frowned at me , not doubt knowing it was me that played the prank on him mere hours before. I left the room before Culpepper had a chance to say anything though.

"Prince Henry" a female voice said, following me from the throne room. I sighed and turned around knowing full well who that voice belonged to, my mother Briana. She walked up to me and smiled "You look exactly like your Father, the resemblance is uncanny...the only difference between you and your Father are your bright green eyes...you'll make a fine Emperor one day."

"And what can I do today for my father's whore?" I said, instantly annoyed. She laughed, what else was she going to do. I crossed my arms as she said "Henry I gave birth to you, you should treat me with some respect but you are really quite funny." "I have more respect for my horse than I have for you, so what is it you want? Why are you bothering me with your existence?" I said shortly.

"Well there is a feast that Grand Duchess Anne is holding in Edinburgh and I'd very much like to go but I have nothing to wear...I've already asked your father and he said no..." "Perhaps if you ask Mr Sorrento or my father while naked and on your back, you'll have more luck. Or perhaps you and your family should learn better financial skills, after all, everyone knows that Father gives your family an allowance of gold. Have a good day, Lady Briana" I said before walking away.

-

"Thank you for convincing your father to let me have my birthday here" Theo said as he adjusted his golden circlet pseudo-crown on his head. "Yeah no problem, you're my bestfriend. Where is your father anyway? Didn't he arrive in the city yesterday evening?" I said, scanning the room. I locked eyes with a pretty girl across the room, who smiled at me from behind her fan as she very casually adjusted her dress to show off her cleavage a little more. I smiled back and turned back to Theo to say something but I made eye contact with a guy who was sitting he gave me a smirk as he opened his legs slightly wider before turning back to his friend.

I sighed to myself, sometimes being the Prince meant long, hard hours deep into the night; looks like I won't be getting any sleep tonight. As Father says, it's a Prince's job to listen to the people and give them what they want and need.

"Henry are you listening to me?" Theo said, interrupting my thoughts. "Yes, Ireland is a fabulous place, I completely agree" I said quickly, which was usually the right answer for Theo and Niall. Theo sighed "Sometimes I wonder why I'm friends with you...oh there is my father now."

"Henry there you are" a deep voice said as Theo walked away. I smiled widely and crashed into Harry's chest in a tight hug. Harry was my dad's best friend and was like my second father; other than Father, he was the only other adult I actually respected in the castle.

"I heard that Chancellor Culpepper got a rude awakening this morning Henry, was that you?" Harry asked. I wanted to lie, I really did, but instead I just got a small nod. Harry sighed "Henry you can't keep acting like that, you're almost seventeenth. What's your future bride going to think of you?"

"Wait my future bride? Has father made a decision?" I asked, suddenly terrified. There were three women that were fighting to be my wife: the daughter of King Charles of Francia, the niece of the Queen of Austria and the sister of the King of Germania.

"No, but still, you have to think of the future. You're almost an adult and you have to start behaving like you'll be Emperor one day" Harry pressed. I nodded "Sorry Harry...tomorrow can we go falconing?" I asked. Harry laughed "Sure. Come find me when you wake up tomorrow since I know how much you love your sleep, just like your father."

-

I walked through the halls with Theo, both of us wearing sports outfits with thick gloves to go falconing. As we walked and talked we passed a beautiful girl, Lady Fleur, who was talking to Sir Peter and Briana, with flowing brown hair and brown eyes. Rumors flew thick and fast that she was my elder half sister from my father and his wife Maria but Maria denied it fiercely and I was pretty sure a woman would know if a baby popped out of her womb or not. Besides everyone knew that Maria was barren, unable to have children, her miscarriages were infamous.

"Princess Fleur" I greeted her, while nobody of importance in my father's court, she was a powerful woman in Iberia, a widow and the Duchess of Barcelona, Valencia and Seville; titles she got by playing politics and marrying men who mysteriously died not a year after being married to her even though she was barely nineteen. Investigations surrounded her for murder but no evidence has ever been found, plus she was the adopted daughter of the King of Iberia which gave her added protection. Even though she was adopted, she was the Crowned Princess since King Juan of Iberia didn't have any children.

"Your Highness" she said, slightly bowing her head. "I thought you were going home soon?" I asked as we approached. "It's far too hot in Iberia this time of year so the Emperor has allowed me stay here a while longer even though my services as diplomat aren't needed for our two nations are fast friends" she replied. "Well I hope you enjoy your stay, you truly live up to your name, Princess Flower" I said before walking away. "Don't stare" I elbowed Theo who was looking behind us. "She's so pretty, how can you not?" Theo said. "I don't know, I mean of course she's pretty but I've never felt attracted to her...I don't know why" I said as we walked.

Outside we met with the Crownsguard, the elite of the Royal Guard. Unlike the Royal Guard who protected the entire royal family, like Maria, the Crownsguard only protected the Crown: the Emperor and his heir. Created by my father when an assassination attempt was discovered against me as a child, found out by Harry and Ms Eleanor. "Grand Duke Harry is already waiting for you, my prince, he is readying the falcons" one of the Crownsguard said as he brought my horse.