CH 35

It was good to be home, but I couldn't enjoy it; the time I've been back in England was stressful.

I thought conquering my homeland would be the hardest thing I would have to do, I was wrong; Scotland and Wales refused to come back to Britannia. Even though Norway conquered the two kingdoms, the Norwegians decided early on that to hold them was more trouble than they were worth, so they became independent. With the High King back, me, they weren't happy to give up their freedoms.

The armies that came here to reconquer Britannia now sat at the borders of England; with a single letter they would march into the two kingdoms and force them to rejoin Britannia by the end of a sword, but I was adamant that I would try all peaceful routes first. I didn't want to become a tyrant.

And then there was the situation with England itself

I always assumed that I was the king of England, but I was mistaken. As High King my capital was actually Doncaster and I didn't directly rule over any land; the reason my parents were in London when Norway invaded was because they were visiting King John of England, who was executed after the conquest, along with his entire family.

As High King my main job was to speak to other nations on behalf of the four kingdoms on the islands and to keep the peace between the kingdoms; because King John of England didn't have any surviving family it was my job to select a new king for that kingdom. A part of me was relieved that I couldn't select myself to be King but it didn't my life any less difficult.

Any English family worth anything wrote me letters daily and sent gifts often, petitioning me to appoint them was the new royal family; the politics of Britannia were delicate to say the least. At least Niall and Liam were enjoying themselves.

I looked over to my friends who were snogging heavily on my bed; ever since Niall came back from Ireland, things were very hot and heavy between them, much to Harry's disappointment. I knew I promised that things would start getting serious between Harry and I, but I haven't had the time; plus Maria was expected to give birth any day now. Nall and Liam met up in my room since, like us, they had to remain secret.

"Do you guys have to do that here?" I said, half annoyed and half joking; putting down the letter I was reading. Niall and Liam finally separated mouths but Niall smiled "I'm a diplomat for Ireland, I'm just...improving Irish-British relations". Harry crossed his arms "I wish I could...improve relations with the High King" Harry said, pouting, as he often did these days. "Harry, please; I just don't have any time" I said, tired and annoyed.

"I haven't been sitting on hands either Louis, I'm working on rebuilding the Shadows but I'm right here and not in my own rooms" Harry countered "Yet you seem to have time for a cup of wine with Peter." Oh my god, this again. "Because he doesn't nag at me like a wife!" I said, losing my patience, not meaning what I said. I couldn't apologize though, my pride wouldn't allow it; I was the High King after all. I walked out of the room, not wanting to see Harry's hurt face.

I walked down the stairs from my rooms into my castle. I moved out from the rooms of my father and gave those rooms to Harry while I myself moved into the tallest tower of the castle. The tower was a lot more quiet than my father's room since his rooms was located in the direct middle of the castle. I preferred the peace the tower offered. Harry though thought I moved him there because I wanted him further away from me even though those rooms were some of the best within the castle.

I wandered around my castle, not really watching where I was going, ignoring the bows and curtsies around me. Where before the castle was largely empty, now most rooms had occupants, the doubters and naysayers now flocked here in droves, seeing my power as firm and legitimate with the Church's blessing.

The castle became a minicity, not be accident but by design; inside we had our own bakers, cooks, doctors and many support staff designed to keep the castle habitable if Doncaster city ever fell, so the castle could be a place for a last stand, or a place to wait and hide while help came. My feet carried me to the familiar room and I went inside without knocking as was my right, I was surprised to see Maria and her brothers in Peter's room.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked as Peter jumped to his feet; if it was anyone else I would have been highly suspicious but Peter was my friend so I was more confused than anything. "We were just...talking about your baby" Peter asked.

My head whipped around to Maria "Why? What happened? Have you decided that you're having a girl? You made a promise to me Maria!" I said, nearly shouting at the end; the sex of my baby was the least of my worries and now it jumped to the very top of my list. Culpepper was already on my case about finding a mistress as a plan B if Maria birthed a girl.

I lowered my voice "Maria I need a boy, we need a boy! I don't want to have to figure out regents; people that will be assigned to be a temporary High King if I don't have an heir. I also don't want to make marriage choices to ensure that our daughter doesn't marry a man that will overpower her, a marriage where she has the power so her husband doesn't become King!" I ranted. "Maria, Britannia has never had a High Queen before; our daughter will face an uphill battle from the moment she is born!"

"Louis, no, I promise upon the Virgin Mary that I'm going to give you a son" she said calmly. I sighed "Maria I'll love all my children; I don't care if our second, third and fourth children are girls and I'll gladly find them suitable husbands but please just let my first born be a boy." She nodded and I walked out of Peter's room, forgetting why I even went inside in the first place.

When I came out of Peter's room, I saw Harry who had such a look of hurt on his face that I turned turned on my heel and walked away. I paused though, and turned around; Harry was walking back the way he came, his head hung low in sadness and hurt. "Harry" I said, feeling really bad "Would you...want to walk in the gardens with me?" I asked him. Harry turned around, smiled and nodded after wiping his eyes.

We sat in the gardens on one of the benches and I decided to just be blunt since most of our issues seemed to come from a single source "Harry, why don't you like Peter?" Harry sighed "Because he...because I'm just jealous" "Jealous? Why?" I asked. "Because you choose to spend a lot of time with him and...you're mine. Don't forget where you belong Louis" Harry said. I chuckled "Peter...he isn't...he isn't like us; he talks often about women." "He's lying Louis, getting you to let your guard down" Harry pressed. I started to get fed up "No Harry it isn't like that."

"How would you know? You didn't even know I liked you back in Wellingtonshire" Harry pointed out. "It's different Harry because-" I started to say. "No it's not different it's exactly the same and if you can't see that then..." Harry started to say but trailed off. "Then what?" I asked angrily. "Then maybe you don't like me how I thought you did" Harry said softly. I stood up, finished with this conversation and walked away without another word.

Harry's POV

I was really trying my hardest not to cry, I had a feeling that I screwed everything up with Louis. I couldn't put into words why I disliked Peter so much except that I was jealous and honestly thought that he was trying to take Louis from me, but I didn't know how to explain that to Louis.

I looked over as a messenger enter my room and handed a letter, sealed with a wax lion stamp; an offical letter from Louis, a degree. I opened it with my thumb and read it "After much thought I have selected Harry Edward Styles to become King of England" and then he went on to give a list of reasons why I was chosen; at the bottom was a handwritten note from Louis "I think we need some time apart Harry, I'll write to you often - Louis"