CH 30

The wedding was an international affair, monarchs sent their children or close friends to represent them in the Vatican, causing the holy city to become crowded and lively.  The days leading up to the wedding however were far from happy.

Maria's two older brothers accompanied her from Iberia as her honor guard but the Iberian ship that was supposed to take them back home from Italia set sail the day after they arrived, the message was clear: they weren't welcome back home.  They didn't take the news very well and because they were with us, we got the full wrath of their rage; if the two brothers weren't going to lead and form a revolt before, they were now.  

On actual my wedding day, the day before my birthday and two days before Christmas; as I was getting dressed for my wedding with Harry's help, I looked over to see Liam standing at my door. " Louis I need to talk to you" he said as he entered my room and closed the door behind him.  "What is it?" I asked as Harry draped my blood red and gold cloak over my shoulders before placing my crown on my head.  "I'd like your permission to being courting Prince Niall; he is your guest so I thought I'd ask for your blessing".  "You're not going to elope with him to Ireland are you? You're my best friend I need you here" I teased as Harry starting to put on my various jewels on me as he chuckled. 

Liam laughed "Of course not, and even if I did I don't think I'll be able to hide from your Shadows... so...Harry may I ask you something" Liam asked as he turned bright red "How...umm...how do you keep a man happy?". Harry smirked as he put a necklace over my head before he walked over to stand in front of me "Just remember that he is a Prince" he said before got got on his knees, centimeters away from the front of my pants, if he turned his head his nose would have brushed against the cloth "And we must get on our knees for them, to honor them". 

My breath got caught in my throat, even though Harry and I have ever done that, I could feel his body heat through the thin, tight cloth of my pants. The cloth that were made for pants was usually thin since that is one of the easiest places to hide a dagger or another tool for assassination but to keep humility, the front of shirts were made longer, well past the waist.

"Often times Liam, once you get down on your knees, the battle is won" Harry said as he lifted up my shirt where my erection was clearly seen because of the tightness of my pants "However the most important thing, is to grab your destiny when it presents itself, do not be afraid" he said, I gasped as I felt Harry's hand on my erection and I quickly turned around so my back was to my friends "Cheeky, cheeky bastard" I growled, but Harry just chuckled and stood up "If you have anymore questions Liam, Louis and I will be glad to help" Harry said. 

-

The wedding itself was taking place inside St Peter's Basilica, an honor that apparently hasn't been given in decades as the last two Popes held weddings outside of the building.  According to Cardinal George the Pope must have absolutely adored me since apparently he has never hosted or presided, or whatever you call it, over a wedding before.   As we rode in the carriage to the Vatican, Edward casually said "Prince, I'm very envious of you right now, although not as much as the other monarchs are I bet". "What do you mean?" I asked.

"The Pope loves you and you aren't even crowned yet. Most monarchs spend their entire lives trying to earn favor with the Church" Edward said.  "Edward just say what you're trying to say" I said, completely confused as to where he was going with this".  "Prince, the Pope is the most powerful man in Europa, you should try to make him your friend for life".  Harry spoke up, nodding "As Mr Richard back home used to say: If you come across a stray cow, you might as well milk it everyday until the owner finds it or it wanders off". I thought about for a moment "Then what do you suggest Edward?"  "Nothing, just...play the part of the righteous, faithful, orphan Christian prince and see what happens" Edward said shrugging  "At the very least it can't hurt".  

I stood at the front of room standing next to the Pope, facing my "guests"; all of them wore a shade of red in my honor but not the bright red of the Cardinals.  Music started playing as Maria walked into the room with her two brothers, she walked slightly ahead of them.  She was dressed in all red and gold  and looked as if she was on fire in the sunlight, the tailor was very skilled.  "Wow" Liam said from behind me but Harry just snorted as they were standing beside me. 

Maria walked toward the front of the room and faced the Pope as her brothers sat down in the front row, as she joined me I turned around to face the Pope also with my hands folded in front of me. "Dear beloved we are gathered here today-" the Pope started saying but my mind started to drift as it usually did when I was at church.  Soon however I became aware of everyone looking at me so I turned to Maria and lifted her veil.

Not bad, considering that I could have done far worse since I had no idea what she looked like.  She was actually fairly pretty, her eyes were brown but her hair was blonde however and I wasn't a fan of blonde hair.  She smiled before we turned back to the crowd, holding hands, there wouldn't be a kiss since only the common folk did that.  We lead our guests to the feast and I sat down at the large table at the front of the room; Maria sat on my right while the rest of my companions sat on my left, the Pope wouldn't be joining us but I was told that he would come to the feast later tonight. 

As I sat down, I was served what seemed to be fried lumps of what I assumed meat before the servant gave the same dish to Maria. "What is this?" I asked the server.  "A meal that will help you both later tonight, served in the Iberian fashion" the servant said with a smile before walking away. "Those are fried bull testicles" Edward whispered, leaning over Liam and Harry to speak to me "Believed to...increase a person's...virility, so it's served to newlyweds to help them conceive a child".  Oh my god, I'm going to have to consummate the marriage later tonight and try to make a child.  Can I just consummate my marriage with Harry instead?  That option is highly preferable.  

The first part of the feast didn't last very long and about an hour after we finished eating, Culpeper whispered "Now would be a good time to fulfill your duty".  I looked at Maria who has been silent the entire dinner "Do you....umm..." I started to say thankfully she understood and stood up with me; the entire situation was made even more awkward as everyone applauded as we walked out of the room together.   

Maria's brothers and my companions rode on horses beside the carriage while Maria and I sat inside; the ride in the carriage back the villa was silent and awkward but Maria made no attempt at conversation, silent as always "Women should be seen but not heard" she said yesterday when I finally just asked her why she didn't talk more.  After we arrived to the villa, Maria walked into my room and she laid upon my bed after taking off her dress, wearing a second smaller dress that kept her from being naked.  Sighing to myself I climbed into bed with her and started undoing the ties that kept her dress on her shoulders. 

Harry's POV

I tried to ignore the noises from Louis's room, it sounded like a small dog getting stepped on or beaten repeatedly.  "Mister Harry, can we talk to you?" one of Maria's brother said as they approached "Sure" I said, glad to be distracted for a while.  "I want you to help us convince the Prince to go to war with Iberia once he takes his throne" the eldest one said, I still hadn't learned either of their names. 

"Why?" I asked. "Because you have the Prince's ear and the Prince himself seems like a fair and honorable person, he would see this as an injustice" the younger of the two said. "I'll tell you what" I said after thinking about for a moment  "You ensure that your sister gives Louis a son and then I'll talk to him alright? We all know that women control the gender of their child and he needs a son" and if this is the only time that Maria and Louis need to sleep together then that'll be a happy coincidence.   The brothers nodded together "Consider it done" the eldest said. 

We all looked over as the door to Louis's bedroom opened and he walked out shirtless before pouring himself some fruit juice "Shall we go back to the party?" He asked after he finished drinking. I nodded before he went back inside and put on a shirt.  We waited as the brothers entered the room to check the sheets, to make sure their sister was pure; they turned to us and nodded "We'll send the sheets to our father, he'll be so proud" the eldest one said.  Louis grabbed my arm "C'mon let's go back to the party" he said as he all but pulled me out of the villa toward the horses.