Chapter Twenty Nine - Complications

Chapter Twenty Nine – Complications

We sat in silence on the couch watching some afternoon children's cartoons when the oven timer sounded. I hopped up and grabbed some oven mitts before pulling the tray out.

"Okay, I'm good to go," Hunter said, attempting to grab two cupcakes when he dropped them, hissing. "It's hot!" He exclaimed.

"It just came out of the oven, of course it's hot," I muttered. I quickly picked them up and put them on the cooling rack. "My mum will probably be home in half an hour," I said, looking at the clock. "So if we leave them to cool for ten, you can grab some and head home."

"Maybe we can leave it to cool for twenty five," he grinned.

"Very funny. Ten minutes is plenty."

I hadn't said a word since he apparently confessed to me, and I was struggling to work out whether or not he had just been messing with me. Usually, after the joke, you tell the person it was a joke, but Hunter hadn't said anything either.

He headed back to the couch, watching Arthur. "And I say HEY! What a wonderful kind of day. If you can learn to work and play and get along with each other," he laughed while singing. "Do you remember this show?" He asked, turning around to face me while I poked at the cupcakes.

"Yeah. Watched it every afternoon," I laughed.

He turned back around and I looked at his messy blonde head of hair, bobbing up and down slightly as the theme song continued playing. At the start of this year, and for all the years of our highschool lives, we'd been in completely separate orbits, so how was it now that he was sitting on my couch watching cartoons like we'd been friends forever?

"Alright, ten minutes is up," I sang. I glad-wrapped four of the cupcakes and handed them to him.

"Alright. Well, see you tomorrow," he waved before leaving. I waved as he left down the path and shut the door.

Too much had happened in one day, and I just needed to have some leftovers and then head into my room to hopefully throw myself into work and then sleep.

I don't need an answer now, but maybe before I'm fifty.

Well Hunter, you'll probably need to wait until you're seventy, I thought, as I typed out the last few words for my lit essay. My parents had come up to check on me, but were satisfied that I'd had dinner and apparently absorbed in my studies.

The only problem was, in six hours, I'd only typed up four pages of a shoddy essay that I would obviously have to rewrite because it was so crappy. All because of what Hunter had said. What were the odds that he was being sincere? Maybe ignoring it and seeing if it would come up again would help.

I stretched, my back cracking, before crawling into bed and falling asleep swiftly, because after all, it was already twelve.

~*~

The gate was becoming a common meeting point. "Hey," I said to Jenny.

"Hi," she replied.

"Look, Hunter already told me um what happened. I kind of get it," I shrugged.

"Can we start again?" She asked slowly.

"Sure," I replied.

"I've talked to all the others, and I take back what I said, but I really do like Hunter."

I looked at her, the way she looked at her feet and how her eyes seemed to look almost doe-like. After what he'd said to me yesterday, I wasn't sure what I was supposed to say to her now.