Bonus Chapter Part 2: Just For The Night

This is the long overdue continuation of the bonus chapter. I need to move this closer to the other one – maybe in a rewrite or if possible, reorganising of chapters on wattpad. Enjoy! :)

---

As per tradition, the primary school down the street was being rented out and turned into a 'haunted mansion'. I'd been in a few times over the years and little changed, but lately the tech-xperts were getting craftier with projections, sound effects and other bits and bobs to really get the little kids jumping out of their skins.

"Why don't we go check out the haunted mansion?" I suggested. At least if it was in a fairly enclosed area, Hunter wouldn't have time to come up with any deranged ideas.

"It's designed for six year olds," Hunter said, rolling his eyes.

"Exactly," I grinned.

I went forth before the other two and they followed. Entry was the usual gold coin donation, and I was feeling surprisingly generous. I dropped three gold coins into the bucket the little ghost was carrying outside the entrance and beckoned the other two.

This year's set up was almost refreshing. Fake spiderwebs were set up in front of the door way with smoke machines working at full capacity inside. There were sinister laughs and flashes of light every now and then. There were black boards lining the walkway; it was set up like a maze. Every few metres we'd come to a stop where there was a display or something slightly more interactive.

There was a shrill shriek as we passed the first opening. Red light flickered on and a bloodied mannequin was cackling while standing over the corpse of another mannequin. I glanced down at the opening. There were motion sensors – clever.

"I would not take my little cousin in here," I mumbled.

"How old is your cousin?" Ace asked.

"She's five," I replied.

Little kids ran past us with their trick or treat buckets and up ahead, I could hear some crying. It was hard to see amidst the smoke and flickering lighting. The next one on the left was an assortment of standing coffins.

"We should check this out," I suggested.

The others shrugged and followed in. A white figure popped out from the third coffin from the left, screeching before jerking back inside. I let out a brief squeal and jumped backwards, right onto Ace's foot.

"Gee thanks," he muttered.

"Sorry," I replied. "Aren't you glad we came in? It's a lot better this year, hey, hey?" I grinned, nudging him playfully.

He was obviously not amused. "I never picked you out as a kid-adult," he said.

We continued on through the maze before I spotted a kid up ahead; he looked about five or six and had dark brown hair. He was wondering around, crying, and the other kids simply ran past. "We should probably check on that kid," I said.

We went up to him and I bent down to meet him at eye level. "Hey, are you okay?" I asked. He looked at me and cried again. I was sightly offended, but what the hell, he was a little kid who probably couldn't find his parents.

"This is why I don't like kids," Ace mumbled.

"Sssh," I snarled, glancing back at the kid. "You were once a little kid," I said to Ace.

"Nope. I do not recall that."

"Yeah, alright," I scoffed.

No matter what I said to the little kid, he wasn't answering. "You should try talking to him."