Chapter Thirty Two - Take A Chance On Me

Chapter Thirty Two – Take A Chance On Me

On Monday the various universities were coming to the school to give speeches and entice students to apply. All the year twelves filed into the auditorium and I managed to get a seat in the fourth row next to Jenny. We'd just come from lit so Ella and the others were nowhere in sight.

"As you all know, today the different universities will be coming in to talk about the different courses on offer. There are also many exciting scholarship opportunities so make sure you're listening carefully. Apply for all the ones you're eligible for; you never know what could happen," Principal Ryan said.

Jenny looked at me. "Are you applying for any?"

"I thought about the academic one, but I'm not sure. There are thousands of applicants; I doubt I'd be selected. What about you?" I replied.

Some of the scholarships covered the entire degree, others covered boarding costs. Some were partial scholarships of a few thousand dollars, which would be a huge benefit anyway.

"Nah," she answered.

The first two university representatives came through and gave their speeches, handing out different pamphlets and booklets giving course details. The courses were becoming increasingly competitive with entry requirements becoming harder and harder to meet.

The final university, the one I was intending on applying to, began its presentation. It had the leading medicine and law school, and I had every intention of applying. This wasn't what caught my eye; it was the scholarships.

"This year, we are proud to be offering five Akadavis Scholarships, sponsored by the Akadavis family in honour of the late professor. These are being awarded to five applicants who are dedicated to self improvement in reaching their goals, in particular, those who are facing financial difficulty," the woman said, pacing back and forth while talking.

Self improvement. Financial difficulty. If there was one thing that Ace needed to make it to university, it was this scholarship. I knew he had the potential, and I knew he could make the change needed to impress the university.

"More information on this scholarship can be found in a pamphlet which I'll leave on the table by the door. Feel free to grab one as you leave. Application forms are also next to it, but there are only a few, so if there are no more, you can download and print one off from our website," she added.

The presentations had taken up the first two periods and we were released to break one. We were dismissed row by row and filed out. I grabbed a pamphlet and one of the forms and headed out of the auditorium, waiting for Jenny to catch up.

"You're thinking of applying?" She asked.

"No," I replied. "I grabbed a form just in case one of the guys wanted to apply, but couldn't get to one in time," I added quickly, being careful to avoid specifications.

I caught sight of Archer leaving the double doors of the auditorium, and he saw me as well. He walked over. "Hi," I said.

"Hey," he replied. "Which one are you applying for?" He asked, noticing the paper I had in my hand.

"None. I just got it in case one of the others needed it." I answered the same question for the second time in a frame of less than five minutes. I was careful to avoid mentioning the other guys and suggesting any particular inclinations towards them. "What about you?" I asked in return.

"Nope. I'm not smart enough to apply for the academics, and I don't fulfil the criteria for the others."

"You mean you're not poor enough?" I grinned.