Chapter Twelve - Part Three

 "Well, I'm going," I said again, heading for the door.
"I'm leaving too, I have -" Ace stopped mid sentence. "Anyway, I have to go."
"No need to keep your dates a secret! C'mon what's her name?" Hunter teased.
"It's not like that, you moron!" Ace exclaimed, punching his friend in the arm.
"Okay, that's enough of your love life ladies," I said.
"I'm heading home as well," Jenny said quietly, following me to the door.

Now that she mentioned it, I didn't actually know where she lived. Was it even within walking distance? The distance from my house to Hunter's house was about the same as the distance from Ace's house to Hunter's house.

"Where to first?" Hunter asked.
"Let's take Jenny home first. I won't let her walk with you two animals," I answered.

"Whose house is closest?" I asked.
"Well, it's mine or yours, but you said you didn't want to leave you friend with the /animals/ so," Ace replied.
"Okay, so Ace's house first," Hunter decided.

We turned right from Hunter's house and continued down the path. When we reached the T-junction we made a left and continued straight from there. Despite walking to and from Ace's house to school once, I couldn't remember where it was.

"I take a different route," Ace said to Hunter.
"Oh really?" He replied.
"It's a little shorter."

So that was why didn't remember. That day, he'd taken me on a different route. When we got to Ace's house, I immediately recognised it. Funny, in proper sunlight rather than at night or in the early morning, it was pretty neat.

We waved and yelled our 'goodbyes' as Ace walked into his house. We shouldn't have left him there alone. Last time I went, I got scared, even though I wasn't alone. Was his family environment always like that?

"What's wrong?" Jenny asked.
"Nothing," I replied.
"By the way, did you /seriously/ think I would do something to your friend? Did you have to walk two times the distance to watch over her?" Hunter laughed. I nodded.
"Haven't you heard the rumours?"
"Half of the rumours are lies," he grinned. "C'mon, tell me the rumours and I'll tell you which ones are true."
"You lure girls into going out with you and when you're done toying with them, you dump them," I said.
"False. Well, partially anyway. Only Dean and Dylan do that."
"Ugh, that's kind of gross," I shuddered. "You do drugs and smoke."

"False," Hunter replied nonchalantly.
"Lies!" I retorted. "On the day I first met you guys, you had a pack of cigarettes on you!"
"I found them. Besides, have you seen me actually smoke since then?"
Now that I thought about it, I hadn't actually ever seen any of them smoke or do drugs, but then again, I wasn't exactly around them all the time.
"I guess," I mumbled.

My phone buzzed in my pocket and I answered it. "Hey," Archer said.
"Oh hi," I replied.
"Are you busy on Saturday?" I thought about his question. Was I busy on Saturday?
"Nope," I replied, despite having mountains of study to go through.
"Want to go see a movie?"
"Oh sure."
"It's been a while, hasn't it?" he laughed.
"Yeah," I replied, finding myself stupidly grinning to myself while Jenny and Hunter stared at me as though I were crazy.

We decided to meet on Saturday at two thirty to see a movie. Also, on Wednesday afternoon, we were studying together for physics. Plainly speaking, I was absolutely giddy.

"You have a phone?" Hunter gasped.
"Uh yes. Most people nowadays have one," I said, waving my around.
"Give me your number."
"No. Why?"
"Fine. Be that way," he sulked.
"Hey Jenny, where do you live?" I asked her, realising she had been awfully silent.
"Oh, it's actually quite far from here. It's okay if I walk by myself," she replied.
"If it's far, it's all the more reason to walk you home. There are all sorts of weirdos around these days!" I exclaimed, looking especially at Hunter.
"Well, alright. We have to go back to the roundabout and circle back past the school, then past two streets and right onto Appleby Street," she explained.

She wasn't kidding when she said her house was far.