Chapter Ten Part Two - Heat

"Remember that all those in a group will share the same mark, but you will get individual comments. I'll hand those out now," Mrs Smith announced, picking up the stack of papers. I waited in anticipation, wondering how it had all played out. I didn't think I had done that bad and I didn't think that Ace had done bad either. Now, all I needed was to find out what we got.

"Well done Cathy," she smiled, passing me the marking key.
"Ace, I'm surprised," she said as she got up to Ace. "Pleasantly surprised, that is."

My eyes nearly boggled out of my head. Sure, I thought we did good, but not that good. I glanced over to see Ace's reaction. As per usual, not much of a reaction. He looked like he got marks like that everyday. When obviously, he didn't.

"Hunter, Dylan, Dean, see me after class," she said sternly.

We spent the class studying, but I couldn't get much done next to a childishly seething Hunter. I couldn't study at school or around people anyway. I got up and left as soon as we were dismissed to avoid being annoyed by Hunter.

However, Archer caught up on the way out. "Are you buying recess?" he asked.
"Um nope, I've got to get changed for sport," I replied. "I'm buying lunch though," I added for no reason whatsoever.
"Great. What class do you have before lunch?"
I thought back to my timetable. "Lit," I answered.
"We're in the same class then. We should just take our stuff with us to the canteen." I nodded in agreement and we parted ways.

I unlocked my locker and shoved my books inside. I had the feeling someone was behind me. It was just that sort of a feeling, so I turned around.
"Boo!" Ella exclaimed.
"You are so lame," I said, rolling my eyes.
"The guys asked me if we were going to the show, so I said 'yes'," Ella notified.
"What guys?"
"The badboys. Duh."
"You did what?"
"Hunter seemed a bit ticked off though. What happened?"
"He's being unreasonable."

"How was I being unreasonable?" Hunter said out of nowhere.
"What happened?" Ella asked.
"I told her to come with me to the annual show. And she said 'no'," Hunter replied childishly.
"I'm pretty sure you're supposed to ask for those things. You don't tell me to come and go," I scowled. Ella looked from me to Hunter and back again continuously

"You guys act like three year olds!" she laughed. "Seriously. Okay so Cathy is going to the show. We're all going as a group, why don't you guys just tag along?"
"Are you telling me to tag along?" he seemed slightly offended "I don't 'tag along', I set the date and time."
"Yeah, no, I'm definitely not going with you," I said.

I went on my tip toes, grabbed a five dollar note from my bag and shut the locker, turning and heading out of the science wing.
"Oi, where are you going?" Ella asked.
"Canteen," I answered.

I didn't turn around, but I had a strange feeling Hunter was following me. I risked a glance over my shoulder; he wasn't there. However, Archer was.
"I told you to wait didn't I?" he said, jogging up to where I was.
"Oh yeah, sorry about that," I replied, recalling what he had said earlier.
"What do you usually get? I've been her for weeks and the menu here doesn't seem to change."
"It doesn't."
"I see." We joined the end of the year twelve line and waited patiently as it crawled forward. The canteen ladies had never been really efficient workers.

There was a strong shove and two guys shoved past me, snickering as though it were an amazing accomplishment.
"Jeez. I hate people who push in line," I mumbled quietly to Archer.

He looked past my shoulder to the two guys who had just passed and squeezed himself past as well. I watched, curious of what he was going to do.
"Don't you think it's a tad rude to push past a girl in line?" I heard him say. There were a few laughs and sneers. One of them pushed him and just as I was about to go up and tell him to drop it, he said something that stunned both of them.

All of a sudden, they didn't look so confident. The second however managed a week sneer. Archer tilted his head and stared at the sneering face for a moment before grabbing his collar and dragging him to the back of the line.