Chapter Eight Part Two - A Series of Surprises

“Pay attention to the game!” Lawiener barked. They all at least turned their heads in the direction of the ball, but only a handful of the class was actually discussing the game; the rest were too busy discussing what they had just witnessed.

Out of the corner of my eye while looking down, I could see Mr Lespinner giving me disapproving looks. He probably had a whole different expectation of what going to a guy’s place meant. In fact, not many people would assume that I would be going there to tutor.

I could imagine the headlines. Straight A student caught in scandal with school’s badboy. How tragic. I could imagine my reputation swirling down the toilet.

Lawiener blew the whistle twice and the game was over. Several girls cried out with relief and immediately began trudging back to school. I was left carrying the poles and various other bits of equipment back, by myself. I must say my teacher was incredibly considerate. Sure he was behind everyone else too, but I was even further behind. Even though winter was settling in, and I hadn’t done any sport or run around, the beads of sweat had formed on my forehead.

I groaned and dragged the poles against the ground while continuously tugging on the bag of sashes slung over my shoulder to stop it from dropping or sliding down. After the next step, the weight suddenly and abruptly lightened. My studies in physics clearly told me there was no way the mass could have shifted so suddenly, but then again, anyone would even a shred of common sense would be able to work that out.

I turned and sure enough, it wasn’t a sudden change in mass. Ace was holding the other end of the poles.

“All of a sudden, I’m starting to think you rely on me to help you,” he laughed.

“I was fine,” I lied, possibly sulking.

“Okay.” He grinned and dropped the end.

“Argh!” I exclaimed, quickly dropping the whole thing before the impact affected my arms and possibly pulled on my shoulder. “What the hell was that for!?”

“Accident,” he replied nonchalantly. He picked up the end and looked from me to the other end of the poles.

“You can carry it by yourself,” I grinned and waltzed ahead with the bag of sashes in one hand.

Mr Lawiener looked rather surprised as Ace trailed along to the storeroom as well, but didn’t question it. Man, looking into the shed again brought back rather strange memories.

“Isn’t this nostalgic?” Ace said, nudging me in the ribs. I shot backwards with my arms defensively over my ribs. Both Ace and Mr Lawiener were staring at me, and I worked out that it was because I had accidentally yelped. “Don’t tell me…you’re ticklish?” He cracked up and dumped the poles in the corner, walking out of the shed. I followed.

“Okay, I’m going to lunch. Are you coming to Hunter’s at six? We’re doing the tutoring thing again,” I said flatly. The notion of being in a house with Hunter alone wasn’t too appealing.

“Eh, might as well. I guess we can work on the chem assignment too.”

“Oh yeah. Have you done any extra research?”

“Nope.”

“Great,” I answered sarcastically.

“What about you then little miss genius?”

“I like to think that I work better under pressure, hence leaving work until the last minute,” I quickly replied, walking away.

I went back to my locker, grabbed my lunch of a peanut butter sandwich and headed back out. After spotting Ella and Jenny sitting on the grass, I went and sat down next to them.