Chapter 4: Reunion

The sun was beginning to set by the time Sam arrived. Bobby was sitting in an old chair, a decent distance away from Dean, but still close enough that he could stab a knife in him at a moments notice. It took nearly all of Dean's self control to keep from lunging at him.

"Bobby." Sam gasped, bursting through the door without so much as a knock. The kid looked tired,  Bobby immediately got up, rushed towards Sam and brought him in a tight embrace. The two stood there for a few moments, clinging tightly to each other. Seeing Sam made Dean feel so conflicted. On one hand, his demon self didn't give a rats ass about him, but on the other, Dean could still feel a part of his humanity buried away inside him that still loved him. Dean bit his lip, unable to hide his longing to join them. The way they greeted each other, it was as if Dean wasn't even there, like he still was dead. The thought swooped down on Dean, hitting him hard in the stomach like a punch. He winced. 

"Sam. It's good to see ya, boy." Bobby's gruff voice was muffled by the fabric of Sam's plaid pullover. Sam's eyes were rimmed red, and their hazel depths showed such a deep emotion that Dean felt he had to look away. As the two broke apart, Sam's teary gaze flicked up at caught sight of Dean. He clenched his jaw, and set his shoulders back. His typically warm gaze had hardened to something unrecognizable. It made Dean's stomach contract painfully, and Sam smiled slightly at the look of pain that showed through Dean's blank mask. 

Two could play at that game, motherfucker. 

As Bobby hurried from the room - probably to grab salt or holy water - Dean let a feral grin mark his lips. 

"Hey, Sammy" He greeted his little brother. Jesus, how long had it been since he'd seen the kid? Weeks, months, maybe even years? He was taller than Dean remembered, and his hair hung lower than before. His muscles had shifted from the wiry teenage kind to the strong bulk of manhood. For a moment, Dean felt vaguely jealous. Wasn't he supposed to the big one? The powerful one? Well, Sammy was a delicate little flower when it came to emotions -at least in Dean's mind. He could easily hurt his little feelings.

"Did ya miss me?" Dean winked, and Sam's look of anger and undiluted pain satisfied Dean. The air was heavy around the two men, and Sam swallowed painfully before speaking. 

"I want to talk to Dean." Sam said, lips trembling. His stance was rigid and furious. Dean laughed and let his eyes flick to the floor. He brushed his foot gently across the leg of the chair, and as he brought his gaze back up, he let his eyes shift to black. It felt so much more natural to let his New-and-Improved self shine, and he silently decided this would be a regular practice. Yeah, sure, he could easily pick up girls with a quick smolder of his green eyes, but with these? He could intimidate much easier than before, and it gave him a renewed sense of self worth. Something Dean hadn't had in a long, long time. Maybe not ever. 

"You are talking to Dean." He smiled. "Just a... Shall we say, New-and-Improved version." Dean flashed his brother a cocky little wink, and let his eyes revert back to green. No use over-using these. Pretty soon they'd get used to them. Sam bit his lip, as if he were holding back a smart ass comment, and hung his head. Smart move; Dean would've ripped him apart. 

"Sam!" Bobby called, returning with a stack of dusty books, a bag of rock salt and a flask. Dean groaned, and hung his head. He had been taking Bobby's torture for hours, and nothing Dean would say could satisfy him. As the older man walked in, Sam turned and smiled weakly. 

"You ready?" Bobby asked, looking Sam over carefully. Dean guessed he was looking for any signs of a breaking point. Like he'd find anything. Sam was as tough as nails when it came to demons. 

"Yeah." Sam took the stack of books from Bobby, and set them on the little table by the door. The final rays of sunlight began to drift down over the horizon, illuminating the house with a final, powerful glow, before they dissapeared into thde grey haze of twilight. Sam flicked on a lamp, and dragged a stool in front of Dean. Bobby leaned back against the wall, watching with careful, angry eyes.