Chapter 18

**AN: Sorry for not updating!! Had no computer forever, and finally gave in and wrote this on my phone. I know it's short and uncomplete, and actually pretty lame but I'm going to make up for it with the next chapter I promise.**

Cas stared down in anticipation at Dean.

"Well?" He asked, eyes alert and curious. "What have you found?"

The demon couldn't return Cas's gaze as he began his explanation in a slow steady voice. His eyes flitted across the room, staring at anyone but Cas.

~~~~

That morning:

Just before dawn, Dean had begun to grow restless. The only sounds in the house were that of Castiels snoring and the heavy breathing of the other humans. Gabriel was off, probably in heaven, so Dean crawled his way out of the rickety old bed the fallen angel and him shared. A low blue glow filtered it's way through the windows, giving the room an eerie silver glow. Birds tweeted their dawn chorus outside, and it was their shrill song that Dean was greeted by when he stepped outside.

He needed to clear his head, and the fresh morning air seemed to rejuvenate him like a long drink of water on a hot day. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath that tasted of morning dew and the sweet smell of rotting leaves. Inside, he felt his darkness growing and aching like a cancer. His head whirled with the sick pleasure it brought him.

Keeping his humanity was so exhausting. Constantly, he thought over each and everything he did and said and even thought to fight back what he had become. Day by day, it became harder and regardless of his struggle, he sank deeper into the demonic parts of himself. Gabriel's diagnoses was absolutely correct; he was too far gone to be brought back, and what little healing he was able to do had began to wither and collapse.

Dean began to walk forward and with each step he took, he walked further and further away from the man he was, and towards a darker future.

"Mmm, hello Dean." A sultry voice broke the demon away from his thoughts, and his head snapped up. Before him was a curvy woman, with dark eyes and a flirtatious smile. Dean greeted her with a hard, black gaze.

"Now, don't be shy Dean-o" she hummed, striding forward. "I'm only here to help."

"Ruby?" Dean asked, glare unwavering. The woman just laughed.

"No, but we both rode your brother."

Dean stopped short, frowned, and shook the disturbing images from his mind.

"Meg?"

"Bingo! Gold star for you, kiddo."

Dean didn't respond right away, and instead gave her a dark look.

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't kill you." He snarled eventually, unblinking. Meg just sighed.

"I always knew you weren't the smart one. Again, I'm here to help. I've got information you and your little crew need, and I'm here to give it to you."

Dean scoffed.

"And I'm supposed to believe you're just doing this out of the goodness of your heart? Right."

"Take it or leave it, Princess. I don't have to help you."

Meg turned to leave, and Dean bit his lip.

"Meg, wait. You can really help?"

She turned back, a feral smile on her lips.

"I'll keep this short. Alistair is sending his nastiest to come and wrestle you back to hell. Demon or not, you're still the Righteous Man and he needs you to do some slicing and dicing. You know, kick start the apocalypse, blah blah."

Dean resisted a smirk, and looked away. He knew what this meant; he could resist and let everyone die, or he could graciously accept and let Sam, Bobby and Cas live out their lives in peace. Either way, Dean was going back to hell.

Both options didn't appeal to Dean. His first thought was that if he lost them, no matter how heart broken he may be, he would be free. Free to succumb to the blackness of his soul and to lead the life he wanted.

But then, he thought of all the times he and Sam would cruise in the impala, singing along with Deans cassettes as they raced to their next case. He thought of Bobby and the smell of old books that seemed to cling to everything he owned. But, most of all, he thought of Cas and how every time Dean came to terms with what he was Cas dragged him back to the surface and filled his mind with sickening humanity.

Was it worth loosing all of that, just to be relieved of the curse that was humanity? Funny, how humanity was keeping him from making his decision. Dean almost laughed aloud.

"Thanks, Meg." He said, and disappeared back into the house.

~~~~

"Alistair?!" Cas said, blue eyes wide and full of shock. "Dean, this is bad. Very, very bad."

Dean sighed and turned back to the table and faced the others who had long since abandoned their breakfasts.

"Tell me something I don't know." He grumbled. Cas ignored him.

"What is our plan? We can't fight him. They'll outnumber us a thousand to one."

"That," Sam said, setting his fork down. "Is exactly what we're trying to figure out now."

Suddenly, Dean stood and excused himself. Before anyone could ask where he was going, or think to stop him he was gone.