Chapter 17

"Wait- so who's coming?" Cas asked, elbows resting on his knees. Sam's words just weren't sinking in.

"We're... Not sure. But we know it's not good. There's demonic omens blooming up everywhere, all circling us. It's something real nasty, and our best guess is it has to do with Dean"

Sam had a sober look on his face, and Gabriel, who had wandered in with a sandwich in hand, patted Sam's back comfortingly. The man smiled fondly, and snatched the sandwich from his fingers. Cas' stomach growled, and Dean sighed.

"Okay, I get it that this is important, but do we really need to talk about all this on empty stomachs?" Dean smiled, his arm moving up from Cas' waist to his shoulder. He smiled, reading Cas' thankful expression purposely. The others shrugged and nodded.

"While you humans get some grub, Dean and I can keep working. No point in wasting time sitting around watching you fuel up." Gabriel offered, giving Dean a stern look. It was strange, and Cas looked between his brother and his demon questioningly. Neither provided an answer to his unsaid question.

~~~

With stomachs full and content, Sam, Bobby and Cas sprawled out upon the floor, flipping through old books and surfing through websites, determined to find some way to help Dean.

Well, Sam and Bobby were. Cas had his head resting on Deans lap, looking like a happy teenage couple. The fallen angel had his eyes closed, hands intertwined with Deans, and he was listening happily to the sound of Led Zeppelin that Dean was playing through his phone. It didn't have the best sound quality, but Cas couldn't care less. It filled his mind with images of him and Dean cruising along in the Impala, eating crappy road food and just being happy. That's all Cas wanted. Happiness. Dean untangled his right hand from his, and ran it softly through Cas' dark, messy hair. It felt nice, and for a while, Cas forgot all the impending problems hanging over his head, and found a moment of peace and serenity in Dean.

Dean eventually grew tired of toying with Cas' hair, and instead cupped his cheek and brought his face back so he could kiss him, sweet and tenderly. It was almost like something inside Dean was apologizing for something Cas didn't know about. But, right now, he didn't care. He was just happy he was here, with Dean, being cradled and loved. Sam, across from them, was probably smirking and whispering to Bobby about the two of them "getting a room". Actually, Cas wouldn't mind that.

Dean smiled against his lips happily before looking up to Sam, his look instantly sobering.

"So, found anything?" He asked softly.

"Nothing." Sam frowned. "I mean, there's not much we can do. We don't know why they're coming, or why they want you. The only thing coming to mind is salting all the doors and windows and waiting them out."

All eyes turned to Sam.

"They'd find a way in eventually, Sam." Cas said slowly, solemnly. "Who knows? They might not even reach the house. What if they're looking for something else."

"They're circling in. Where else would they go? There's nothing for them out there."

"Maybe they're just trying to freak him out?"

"That's some hopeful thinking, Sam. But not very likely." Bobby sighed, setting down the thick, dusty book in his hands upon the floor.

"We could always take them head-on." Dean suggested "We've done crazier things. And we have an angel on our side."

Gabriel stood, frowning.

"Hey - I can get heaven off your ass for good, but this is too much..."