Chapter 19: Sneaking Around

Dean soon found himself in a ramshackle house, rotting off in the middle, of, well, nowhere. This whole demon thing had it's perks, and being able to sense other demons was one of those perks. That, and being able to zap around.

Meg was seated in front of Dean, her back to him and her face buried in some magazine. She had a casual air about her, and Dean was surprised she hadn't heard him come in.

"Why did you help us?" He asked gravely, breaking the silence.

Meg just chuckled.

"Thought you'd catch up Dean-o. Come sit."

Dean rolled his eyes.

"Why did you help us?" He repeated in the same tone.

Meg sighed and turned to face him. "You really want to know why I 'helped' you?" She asked.

"No, I want you to sit there and look pretty."

"Funny."

Dean glowered at her.

"Alright look, I'm going to be honest which is, well, not something I usually do." She smirked, then continued. "Dean, why do you think Alistair let you go?"

"Because he... Sucks?" Dean offered, jokingly. Meg didn't laugh.

"Because, he knew you would come back."

"That makes no sense."

"Sure it does Dean-o. You're a demon; he knows that. You'll find your way back to us. You may think you can fight who you are and keep banging your pretty little blue bird, but eventually it's going to catch up with you. I see that bloodlust behind your eyes."

Dean ground his jaw down in anger, mostly because he knew it was true. Domesticity didn't suit him well.

"So, you're asking why I helped you? Well, maybe I didn't. Maybe I just wanted to give you a heads up on what's in store for you."

Like a cat, Meg stood and slunk over to Dean, curling her pale fingers up and around his shoulder and neck. Her mouth tilted up, almost as if to kiss him, and instead they found his ear. Hot breath blew over his skin, making his hair stand on end.

"Your friends? They're holding you back, Dean. You're so much more... When you've accepted your fate, you know where to find us."

With a sick feeling, Dean vanished, heading anywhere but home, and anywhere but towards Alistair.

Dean knew what Meg said was true - as terrible as it sounded. They really did hold him back. Sam and Bobby practically had him on lockdown constantly, even if it didn't feel like it. And Cas? Cas kept him human. Which would have been good for Dean, if it wasn't for the ache in his soul. He needed to release his anger and let the evil bury him in it's waves. And that was exactly what he was going to do.

~~~

It was hours before Dean returned. The whole time, Cas had been pacing around Bobby's, worried out of his mind. The thought of Dean leaving them, or being caught by Alistair twisted his gut sickeningly. Eventually he went back to their room to lay and wait for his return, demon blade in hand in case Alistair made a quick visit.

It often dawned on Cas that Dean seemed to be suppressing himself. There was a certain, pure evil behind Deans eyes that was almost never present in his actions. Or when they kissed. Maybe now he had finally snapped. This thought was the worst, and eventually, Cas hid his head under the sheets and let out a small groan.

"Cas" A gruff voice sounded behind him, and by reflex Castiel whirred around in a panic.

"Dean. You startled me." He said with forced nonchalance, relaxing back into the bed, stuffing the blade under his pillow. "Where have you been? We thought you'd finally run off to parade the night, or whatever it is demons do."

Cas grinned at his own joking tone, but his smile faltered when Dean did not return it. There was a tension in the air and Castiel moved to reach out to Dean. He gave him a questioning look.

"Dean, what's wrong?"

The demon flicked his now black gaze back to Castiel. He grinned slyly.

"Nothing. For the first time in forever... Nothing." He laughed now, and the sound sent shivers down Castiels back.

"What? Dean there's something wrong with you."

"Cas really - I'm fine." He kept grinning, and moved down into the bed. Still his eyes were black and they bore down into Castiel, almost like they could see into his mind. Dean bent down and gave Cas a hard kiss, his tongue knowing exactly what he wanted and how to get it. Cas melted back down, and soon he found Dean pinning his arms up above his head as he kissed him. For a moment, Castiel forgot about Deans strange behaviour and let him work him over. Before he had met Dean, Castiel had a strong will. Now, anytime Dean even brushed arms with him Castiel crumbled. Especially now, after he'd fallen.

Just as Cas thought his head was going to pop off with the intensity of their kiss, Dean was gone.

And so was the blade