Chapter 16

Castiel awoke slowly, trapped under both the weight of his first sleep, and the heavy quilt he was tucked neatly underneath. He could tell the room was dark and quiet, because there was no light filtering through his eyelids. His ears buzzed with the absence of sound, and he started to squirm with discomfort.

"Dean?"

Immediately, there was a scramble of feet and the rushed scrape of a chair across the floor. The sound jolted Cas' eyes open and he squinted against the weak, pale morning light. There was a shadow in front of him, looming down protectively over his sleeping form, reaching a hand out to place comfortingly on his thigh. Cas could barely feel it underneath the thickness of the blanket. Were they even in the motel anymore? It didn't seem like it. There was a faint scent of whiskey in the air, and the walls didn't reflect fluorescent stains.

"Morning, sunshine." Dean said, and Cas let his tired blue eyes roll up to stare at the beaming face of his demon.

"Where are we?" Cas groaned, pushing himself into a sitting position. His skin was sticky with sweat, and he wiped his hand across his brow.

"Bobby's place. Figured we'd drawn enough attention at the motel, and needed to move on."

Cas nodded, understanding completely. It was a wonder they hadn't had crowds of people banging on their door to shut up. The fallen angel rubbed his eyes, an looked around the room. He recognized it immediately as the room Dean had stayed in in the first few nights of his demon life. Not that he needed sleep - he just wanted to be alone. Outside the thick, oak door was obviously the living room. Cas swallowed, and noted how sore his throat felt.

"I'm thirsty." He said, part wonder and part demand. With each word, his throat and mouth grew drier and more tense. This was a strange feeling, and Castiel wasnt sure if human life was going to be as glamorous as they made it seem. It might be worth the freedom, though.

"Right, I'll get you some water." Dean smiled, warming Cas' heart. He got up in a graceful movement, and stepped nimbly out the door. It swung shut on its own from its immense weight, and closed with a soft click. Cas closed his eyes, resting back against his pillow and let out a long breath of air that seemed to fill the room. The idea that he truly wasn't an angel wasn't really hitting him. It seemed far off and foggy, but that could just have been from his recent sleep. This was all so confusing.

Cas must have dozed off again, because when he next opened his eyes, Dean was smiling weakly down on him. A cold, tall glass of water was in his hands. The sides were coated in a thin layer of condensation that gleamed in the little light that was entering the room. A liquid never looked so good.

"Water?" Cas said softly, reaching a hand up to grab the glass from Dean. It felt cool and slick in his palm, but regardless he lifted it to his lips so he could drink greedily. It was refreshing and it soothed his throat nicely.

"Jesus, Cas, you doing alright?"

Cas drained the last bit of water with a smile, and handed the glass to Dean. He took it and set it gently down on the bedside table. His eyes never left Cas the whole while, and the tight knot that had appeared in Castiels stomach since he'd fallen began to loosen and warm itself. Dean really did care, didn't he?

"I love you." Cas said, pulling Dean down by the opening of his shirt.

"I know" Dean smiled warmly, and practically jumped down onto the bed to curl in around Cas protectively. His arms were strong and soothing, holding Cas tightly against his chest in a way that made him crave more. Carefully, Cas uncoiled his arms and placed them around Deans waist in a tight embrace. His muscles were firm and toned under his hand, and Castiel smiled slightly. Touching Dean as a human was an entirely different thing. It wasn't like he was behind some screen anymore. He was really here. Really feeling everything. He could only imagine what Deans lips tasted like.