Chapter 21

The warm lights and peaceful comfort of Bobby's home beckoned to Dean, showing promise of warmth and company. The demon shook the feeling off and wiped a bit of Alistair's blood off the side of his thumb. It was so tempting to run back in there, grab Cas and to never let go. But, the darkness of the world also called to him. Maybe even more intensely than the call of his friends.

Dean was on a mission now. This wasn't the time for his internal crisis; he had to focus. The first step would be to talk to Cas, figure out every detail of what happened to him. That way, Dean could find Castiels damn grace. He loved new Cas, he really did but this was important.

In the blink of an eye, Dean was in the dark of the spare room they had shared. The air around him was musky and full of dust. The light that came through the windows was muted and grey, filled with dancing specks of dirt. Dean couldn't imagine how bad Castiels lungs were going to get if he stayed in here any longer.

Laying about the floor in clumps were piles of clothes, food containers and old boxes of books, but that was nothing new. They had been there before. What startled Dean was the fact that the lube he and Cas had so carefully tucked away in the pillows was laying casually upon the floor. The cap was half twisted on, like the last time it had been touched was in the middle of something. Dean blushed deeply and kicked it under the bed. What if Sam had seen it? More importantly, why was it out?

Dean, ignoring his thoughts, sat down on the bed, and waited for Cas to come upstairs. Which
surprisingly didn't take too long. It was really only a matter of minutes before the door opened with a slow creak and a tired Cas shuffled inside, closing the door silently behind him. His eyes were dark and heavy, his lips parted in a small frown. Dean thought he looked beautiful. It took a few minutes for him to notice Dean perched lazily upon the bed, but when he did, his eyes returned to their usual blue, like a light was switched in his mind.

"Cas" Dean breathed, moving to stand. "I-"

Before he could say anything, Cas stomped up towards him, raising his arm and hitting him squarely in the jaw with a tightly clenched fist. Pain sparked out across his bones, and Deans eyes lulled back, groaning as he took another punch. He was pretty sure Cas had broken the skin of his knuckles, because the warm wetness of blood smeared across his face with every following blow.

"How-"

Another hit. Harder this time. Dean was dizzy, but Cas needed to get this out of his system.

"Fucking-"

And another hit.

"Dare you." Cas panted, slumping down onto Deans chest, curling his red, raw fists beneath him. He was breathing heavily with both anger and fatigue, and he was flushed pink. The demon resisted the urge to roll his eyes. Instead, he cradled Cas against him.

"Cas-"

"Shut up, Dean." He mumbled, heart beating rapidly against the demon. Dean listened to it absently and brought a hand up to stroke the fallen angels dark hair. It was very messy, and fell across his forehead in loose strands. "Don't run off like that. Don't you ever-.."

"I'm sorry." Dean wasn't sure why he said that. He didn't really mean it. The look in Castiels eyes, however, made him want to mean it.

The room went silent and before he knew what was happening, Cas had lifted himself up to kiss Dean lightly. It was sweet, gentle and it sent Deans heart racing out of control. Dean pulled him in closer, wanting to feel every inch of Castiels body against his own. By now, Dean had this body memorized. Each muscle, each slope. Each and very bit of his beautiful self. Dean was overwhelmed.

"I'm loosing faith in you, Dean" Cas murmured against his mouth. "You've lost yourself."

Dean stifled a small sigh, and wrapped himself tighter around Cas. He pulled his mouth away, grimacing at the bruises that were forming on his jaw. They'd heal in seconds, but they still ached.