Chapter 12: Sympathy For The Devil

Dean glowered at his brother and angel from the Devils Trap. His eyes were practically seeping darkness, and his lips twisted up into a sneer that made him look more animal than human. His breath hissed through his teeth sharply, and finally, Sam broke the silence. 

"What are we going to do?" He said quietly, rubbing his fingers across his temples. He stood by the door, exchanging worried looks with Castiel. His face was riddled with lines of stress making him look much older than he really was, and Castiel frowned with pity. The poor man. All his life he was under more pressure, expectations, and impossible tasks than any human being should ever  be allowed, yet he always made it through. He was every bit the Righteous Man that Dean was - or used to be - just without the recognition. 

"I don't know." Castiel said softly, turning his gaze from Sam to Dean. He tried not to let his fear and concern show through his emotionless mask without much luck. "We'll figure it out." 

Below them, Dean laughed and eased himself up to his feet. 

"I'm right here, guys." He said, and his voice was raspy and darker than before. Castiel could feel it slither down his spine as if it were a tangible thing, making him shudder with horror. The thing speaking now wasn't Dean. At all. For a moment, a flicker of doubt for Dean's recovery sparked inside Castiel, and he clamped his jaws down to keep from reacting. He had to keep his hope alive. He owed it to Sam, and the human Dean.  "It's not like I magically lost my hearing." Dean continued. A sly, smug grin was still on his lips and he glided over to the edge of the trap closest to Castiel. 

"Come on, feathers, you got to admit you like me this way." Dean breathed across the small space between them. "I can see what it does to you." In a darting movement, Dean's tongue flicked out to run itself over his lips, leaving a wet trail behind. Cas shifted uncomfortably. 

"Maybe we should get Bobby." Sam said quietly, ignoring Dean. "He'll know what to do." 

Castiel nodded, and with a look of sadness, stepped away from Dean to seat himself on the edge of the bed. Dean always had weak points, like this, but they'd never been this bad. There was always the little spark of himself in there that kept the flame of Cas' hope and love alive but now.. He wasn't so sure what was going to happen this time. 

The angel hadn't even noticed that Sam stepped out of the room until he heard the creak of the door, followed by heavy footsteps stomping in. He looked up to see Bobby and Sam closing the door behind them, and walking to face the irritated Dean who was just now breaking the heavy gaze he had laid down upon Castiel. 

"See what I mean?" Sam said quietly, looking to Bobby who wore a stern look. "He's lost himself." 

"I don't know that theres much we can do." 

"Oh come on, guys! It's not like I'm a cancer patient. I'm still me just..." Dean paused to grin "New and improved. You don't have to do anything." 

Bobby clenched his fists and shook his head, and turned away from Dean. 

"Idjit." He muttered, moving to seat himself down next to Castiel, but he noticed the unruly mess of the sheets and thought better of it. Apparently everyone knew what he and Dean were up to earlier. Castiel blushed. 

"Actually, you know what?" Dean said perkily, crossing his arms over his chest. "I like being this way. It's so much more... Pure."

"No one asked for your input." Castiel snapped, then turned to the other two. "I can search for some one who might know what to do, but I can't promise any results." 

Sam nodded and sighed a long breath of air. 

"Bobby and I will hit the books." Sam said, gathering up his coat.