chapter one

He remembers it all. He remembers that cold February night, the twelfth of February to be specific. He remembers sitting on the family computer, browsing Twitter. He remembers his dad coming home from work early and asking his mom and siblings to come into the family room. He remembers them announcing their divorce. He remembers locking himself in his room all night, not wanting to go downstairs and face the broken love between his parents. He remembers breaking down at school the next day and his best friend, Hannah, being there for him. He remembers it all so vividly, as if it were just yesterday, but it wasn't.

That was two years ago. Both of his parents are remarried. His dad to a not so nice woman named Kathy, and his mom to a man named Tony. Tony has a daughter, Bethany, who is now the Franta kids stepsister.

Each week they switch houses, considering my parents have joint custody. This week Nicola, Brandon, Connor, and Bethany are all at the Mota-Franta household. Dustin is in college; he rents an apartment with his girlfriend.

Bethany walks into the living room where Connor is sitting, content lay watching a documentary called Dior and I.

"Con?" Bethany asked, sitting down next to Connor. Connor hated to admit it, but he and Bethany got along surprisingly well. They constantly had each other's backs in school, despite being in different 'groups'.

Connor rolled his eyes, reaching for the remote sitting next to him and clicking the button with two parallel lines.

"Yeah?" He asked, impatiently. He was just about halfway done with the documentary and he would've liked it if Bethany would allow him to watch the rest of it in peace.

"A few of my friends are coming over in a bit, would you mind watching the rest of this in your room?" Connor, annoyed, sighed audibly, slouching down further into the couch.

"But Bethany," he whined, dragging out the end of her name. "I'm almost done!"

"Please?" Bethany begged. "I'll give you something. I'll... I'll give you ten dollars!"

Connor, seeing how desperate Bethany was for this, finally caved in and handed Bethany the remote. "Who's coming over?"

Connor knew the social group Bethany hung out with, but not well enough to know what each person was like. He'd probably be able to put faces with names and that's about it.

"Andrea, Troye, and Zoe"

"You're having a boy over?" Connor  raised his eyebrows. "for a sleepover?"

"I don't see the problem" Bethany breathed out, waving her hands like it's no big deal. "All three of them have boyfriends anyways, so it's not like they'd do anything."

"They all have boyfriends? Even Troye? Troye's,"

"Yes, Connor, Troye is, in fact, a homosexual. Now please, go watch your documentary somewhere else." Throwing his arms up, Connor walked out of the living room and into his room. He was immediately greeted by the familiar scent of his cologne.

He jumped onto his bed, slightly annoyed that he was limited to watching the second half of the documentary on his shitty laptop.

As Connor began concentrating on the English subtitles supplied on the bottom of the screen, he had heard the doorbell go off. shrugging it off as Bethany's friends, he plugged in his headphones and blasted the volume all the way, drowning out the sounds of laughter and gossip coming from across the hall.

"I can't believe you got back together with Kian!" Connor heard Bethany yelp. He just sighed, taking a deep breath and returned his focus onto the french documentary playing before him. He didn't care about everyone's relationship status', nor did he care about the hot guys on the television (maybe a little). The only thing he deeply cared about was finishing this damn documentary.