c h a p t e r 3 : s h a d o w

L o u i s a

"And I'm sorry I'm not all the things that you want, all the things that you thought I would be." - Misunderstood, Fly Away Hero

I stare at the ceiling, shadows dancing all across the room.

The soft moonlight trickles in, casting shadows all across the room.

I can feel a shiver run up my spine; shadows dancing all across the room.

The demons, they're here, casting shadows all across the room.

*

I clutch onto my books as tightly as I can, taking a quick look around before opening my locker. I hurriedly grab whatever books I need for the rest of the day and slam the metal door shut, stuffing them into my already overstuffed bag before anyone comes my way.

Sometimes I wish I could stop living in fear. In fear of them. In fear of everyone.

If only summer could come faster. How is it possible that the holidays are in three short days, yet it feels like an eternity away?

A mocking but ear piercing scream reaches my ears, followed by laughter. I clench my fists, knowing exactly who is coming. My shoulders tense and so do my jaws. I take a step forward and walk as fast as I can, without running, towards my next class, looking at the ground the whole way there, refusing to turn back, knowing from the sound of hurried footsteps that they are following closely from behind me.

I bump into someone as I go around the bend. I slip and fall to the floor; my books and papers scattering all over, pain shooting up my spine.

"Oops," someone says, the sarcasm and amusement thick in her voice. "Oh, Louisa. I'm so sorry. I didn't see you there."

Deciding to be the bigger person and not pick a fight with them — not like I have the courage to anyway — I gather my items and stand up, sucking in a deep breath of air, chewing on my bottom lip to prevent myself from tearing up.

I don't want to give them the satisfaction of winning, of beating me.

"I'd best be my on my way," she says, snickering, pushing me against the concrete wall as she walks past me. "Wouldn't want to be late for class."

She laughs, almost maniacally, when she reaches her group of friends standing at the other end of the hallway, behind me, almost like she is a serial killer who got away with murder.

She might as well be one.

Using my free hand to brush away the tear threatening to fall, I head towards the chemistry laboratory, bracing myself for whatever punishment I'd have to face as I am already, in the very least, fifteen minutes late.

I sigh in relief when I finally arrive at the lab, glad that I did not run into any more trouble along the way. I reach up and knock on the door.

"Umm... I'm sorry Miss Karen, for being late," I mutter, shuffling my feet nervously.

"That's alright, Louisa. Since this is the last class for the year, you will be excused from punishment. Please try to avoid being this late in the future. Take a seat," she replies kindly.

"Thank you," I say, nodding my head, before hurrying towards my seat.

"Hi," Ria, my lab partner and best friend — my only friend — greets as I sit down.