c h a p t e r 1 6 : d e m o n s

S a m

"Don't get too close. It's dark inside. It's where my demons hide." - Demons, Imagine Dragons

Everybody's got their demons.

It doesn't matter who you are.

It's just a matter of whether you let them in.

So, please, darling,

Don't come close.

Don't come in.

I don't want my demons to scare you away.

*

I wonder what ran through Louisa's mind last night. She seemed so distant, so faraway. Like, one minute she's there and the next, she isn't. It feels like I'm treading water with her. I never know quite what to say. I'm not even sure who she is.

She's so closed off, like she's spent years building walls that are miles thick. I wonder what it'd take to be let in.

"Hey, Sam! The usual?"

I flash a smile are Grace, the barista of the most popular coffee shop in Westfields, and take a seat by the window.

I'm not sure what I'll do today. I'd love to hang out with Fran but it's a little weird because Tony's not here. It's weird because they broke up. But I was friends with the both of them before they even got together so I guess it's fine to continue befriending her.

But, I guess, I was never really close to any of them in the first place.

I was only ever close to you, Lily, and now, you're gone.

Why do you talk about her like she's the one who walked out on you?

I want to— I don't know. I want to be happy, I guess. But does that sound a little too cliche? I'm just a boy from a small town in the middle of nowhere with a past I'd rather forget. It's almost like I'm a character in some teen fiction book.

"Here you go, Sam. One ice cold caramel latte," Grace says, placing the cup in front of me.

"Thank you. I'll pay you on the way out."

She shakes her head. "It's on the house today."

"Are you sure? I really don't mind paying for it."

"You look like you could use some caffeine," she replies, giving me a sad smile and sitting across from me. "Did anything happen?"

I shrug. "Fran's back in town. It's a little weird. I haven't seen her since..." I trail off, not feeling like finishing the sentence.

Grace gives a reassuring nod. "It's ok, Sam. You don't have to say anything. I understand. You're welcomed to stay in the shop for however long you wish."

"Thank you, Grace."

"Anytime. But I've got to go now. Someone needs to man the cashier."

"Yeah, sure. Go ahead."

She gets up, walking back to the counter, just as another customer enters the shop.

"Hi. How may I help you?" I hear her ask, before tuning it all out.

I put on my earbuds and press play, the beginning riffs of a song blasting into my ears.

If only I could tune out my worries as easily as that.